Friday, April 12, 2013

Momma lessons

Here are some random things I've learned or observed since becoming a Mom. 

1. You become kind of lame...and strangely are okay with it. We have been lucky to have great support and have actually gone to dinner several times alone, but for the most part, we are home hanging out. Well less hanging out, more changing diapers, feeding, reading, singing, crying, burping, etc. But yes, we are at home....a lot. Take tonight. We did not even discuss it, we just know we will be at home and we might just go crazy by ordering some Greek take out and watching a movie. 5 years ago staying in on a Friday would be a rare occasion, but now we are happy to go out once a week!

2. Your tolerance for gross.. I mean really gross things increases. I cannot tell you how many times I've been spit up, pooped, and peed on. Although I babysat quite a bit in my day, I do not do dirty.. well did not, now I revel in it. There has not been a day that I can remember where I did not get something dirty on me... and I have literally never freaked out about it. Who am I?

3. Laundry. Read above. Nobody ever told me I would do laundry every. single. day. Or at least throw loads in a then do epic foldings every weekend. I mean everything is dirty all the time and I am always struggling to get it together. 

4. I hate to admit it but I feel like I've become less creative. Hopefully that will change but it just hit me recently that I haven't sang in over 2 months, I don't write about anything but Austin, and my overall creative side seems to have taken a backseat. I'm not really complaining about this at all, it's just the truth. 

5. Mommy wars kind of do exist, but only with the people who were competitive about lame stuff when they were young too. Not every Mom is pyscho about their kid's accomplishments and I've actually been very happy with the supportive nature of my Mom friends. I've gotten a few "competitive" comments from folks, but they are the people you would expect. You know, the ones who were competitive about weight, or money, or clothes, or guys, or whatever when we were 16...now they are competitive about how little their child spits up and how they never ever, ever, ever, ever mind getting up at 3 AM. They are also the people you know who lie the most. 

6. Mom guilt is real. Am I reading to him enough? Is he getting enough tummy time? Is he going to be okay when I go back to work? Will the think I've abandoned him? Will he be stimulated academically enough while I'm gone? Will he be overstimulated? Is he getting enough social interaction? Omg, I had to supplement with formula for the first 2 weeks until we got nursing under control, will this hurt him when he is older? I answered a text while feeding him, did he notice? Does he think I don't love him? AND IT GOES ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON. 

7. I am going to make amazing maternity bras and make millions because they suck. 

8. Going to Kroger and the Park become "busy days" because you have to take an entire house with you all for the "just in case" situations. 

9. You can be having such a bad day and when your babe smiles or laughs at you, literally everything disappears. It is such a gift! When you're baby is happy, you are happy. I feel like so much of me has become wrapped up in him and while I so want to maintain some sense of my identity and interests pre-baby, the well-being of your baby becomes more important than anything I ever imagined. 

10. Lastly, being a Mom is fantastic, so damn hard, wonderful, grueling, extraordinary, life changing, and the best thing I've ever done. I would take all the momentary seconds of bad to enjoy the sweet boy I have now! Whatever crying fit, tummy trouble, sleep deprivation or other troubling episode we have had has all been... fleeting. That ol' ginger Annie was right! The sun really does come out tomorrow and with a smiling baby! 

For Natalie's News, this has been, Natalie-Corinne.  

7 comments:

sarah said...

;)

Unknown said...

So perfect. When are you gonna write about stroller aerobics.

Lindsay said...

Love this, love you!

Natalie Corinne said...

Thanks y'all! Love my gals!

Natalie said...

I agree with all of these!

Natalie Corinne said...

Thanks Natalie! You seem with it so that makes me feel good :)

Natalie Corinne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.