Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The New Socialite

Since my return to blogging, I thought I should inform my loyal readers (thanks to both of you) of the social changes in Oxford and my life. Since I began graduate school socializing has definitely changed. For one GRAD SCHOOL takes up a lot of nights and my old social habits including dinner with girls, drinks on the square etc were replaced with marathon cramming and writing sessions in the computer tech lab and constant opera and choir rehearsals. Yes, Oxford changed. With some "rebuilding" football years and harder school demands, social outings became very different from the undergraduate years. I began to notice a lack of Dixie cups filled with keg beer. These were replaced by matching wine glasses which were filled with the correct wine corresponding to the meal served later in the evening. Parties were replaced with a phenomena called supper club which actually has a beginning and ending time. The evite invitation now reads," dinner is served from 7-10", rather than the 11-? time slot previously seen on facebook invitations. Yes, people moved, got jobs, became responsible and socializing changed. Only one event brought friends and families back together and not only allows but promotes undergrad behavior. What event is this you ask?!... the wedding. Ahh yes, wedding season. From May until October many weekends are filled with flights to random locations, lingerie and bachelorette parties, great food (and hopefully alcohol) etc. Reunions now = weddings. Since so many weddings have occurred I thought it might be nice to highlight some. Here goes, try to keep up!

Aimee and Rick tied the knot earlier this year in a pseudo- private ceremony (I wasn't invited) in Tahiti or somewhere. Jk. They were married in Cabo with a small wedding party consisting mainly of family and close friends. All attendees reported great sun, food, memories, and most importantly, a beautiful bride. After the private wedding, a huge reception was held in Kingwood (outside of Houston) where everyone was invited to celebrate Aimee and Rick's union. I flew to Houston on Friday and was met at the airport by the Gentrys and the Waters. After a brief reunion we went to the Bertrand's estate in Kingwood and began helping (slave labor but whatever Ginger) for the Friday night event. Friday night was a large fried catfish and chicken dinner for the 200 out-of-town guests and the Bertrand household. Guests arrived from all over the continental US to enjoy the festivities. Unfortunately, too much socializing and red wine resulted in a lack of food consumption for Natalie, however I heard from many guests that Pearl (the Bertrands longtime housekeeper) created the best catfish ever consumed. The next day Dibby (Jewish grandmother) hosted a Mexican themed brunch the hotel. The out-of-town guests were once again treated to an open bar and great company. After the brunch, many girls walked to the conveniently located Galleria and shopped and then Whitney and I treated ourselves to much needed mani/pedis and catch up talk time. After a brief rest, the glam squad dolled up and were ready for the pictures and the big reception. The glam squad was transported by bus to the reception and arrived early for pictures. Soon the rest of the guests arrived and dined on a fabulous array of culinary delicacies. After dinner the band impressed the crowd with covers of classic hits by Journey and Justin Timberlake. After the couple left the rest of the crowd was not ready to retire for the evening. The Houston locals brought us to an authentic honkey tonk with buckets of beer and cowboy hats. The night ended with great talking in the hospitality sweet and beginnings of a wine induced hangover. All in all it was an amazing weekend and a wonderful opportunity to see old friends!

Later in the Spring my sweet family friend Alyson Presley Poling married in Nashville to her new husband Patrick. The couple married at Scarett-Bennet on the Vanderbilt campus and had their reception at the Factory in Franklin. I was so excited to see some wonderful family friends that I have known all my life. The wedding was beautiful and Alyson was such a gorgeous bride. The wedding was sweet and beautiful and the reception was such a great time. We arrived at the reception and quickly got the table closest to the open bar (nice move Myatt family). After a wonderful meal, the guests enjoyed a soul/jazz band that quickly livened all attendees and inspired everyone to burn those dinner calories by showing their best dance moves. I even saw Mr. Clark and Daddy Ralph braving the dance floor! The wedding was so beautiful and an enjoyable night!

Although I missed blogging of some of my other friends weddings, I thought I would pay some attention to upcoming weddings and recent engagements!
This weekend is the wedding of Ms. Jenny Weeden and and Mr. Jason Byrd aka Byrd. The wedding will take place at Ingamar Baptist Church and the reception will be at the Bancorp South Building in downtown Tupelo. I was fortunate enough to witness the courtship and budding relationship of then roommate Jenny and Byrd so I am honored to sing at their wedding and be a part of their big day!

Ms. Caitlin Andrews and Mr. Daniel Shirley(pictured right) are to be wed in August at Scarett-Bennett on the Vanderbilt campus and will have their reception at the Hermitage in Nashville. I have known Caitlin ever since our choir days as Brentwood High School Bruins and I proud to be the understudy bridesmaid and reader at her wedding. The couple are both wonderful and successful singers and the wedding is sure to be beautiful and tons of fun! Can't wait!

Next, long time friend and transplanted local Ms. Brooke Bagley was recently proposed to by Dr. Michael Worthy (pictured left). Dr. Worthy is a music education professor originally from Oklahoma with stints in Texas and Ms. Bagley is from Forrest, MS. The couple are both music lovers and employees with the University of Mississippi. Their wedding will be a family only wedding in Jackson and then a big reception in Oxford in August. I have been informed that the heat should not concern guests because a pool will be at the reception and guests are encouraged to go for a dip.

Lastly, little sis and ultimate hater Rebecca Bertrand will marry Smitty Smith of Oxford in March. Rebecca is Aimee's younger sister and will be sure to throw a memorable party in the Bertrand style! The wedding will take place at Oxford/University Methodist Church and the reception will be held in the Grove near the stage. I was present the night this couple met and Rebecca called dibs on Smitty. I am amazed that I am lucky enough to be a bridesmaid and singer at this huge event!

Wow, what a fun fall that approaches us. All I have to say to all my fabulous friends tying the knot is please don't expect nice gifts from me for I am a poor, novice teacher, not able to afford your expensive china. Sorry, alright all for now. Signing off, Natalie Corinne.

No comments: