Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Austin, you're a reader.

I promised myself I would not become one of those insane parents. Which type? The type that swears their child is gifted at a ridiculous age. Yes, I want Austin to be smart and do anything I can do to help. I used tell Austin he is smart. Then after reading you shouldn't tell your child they are smart rather applaud their effort, I began positively encouraging him after completing such daunting tasks such as picking up the burp cloth. I do not want to put too much pressure on him and have decided to do the best I can to foster any kind of talent, gift, etc. he may have. However, for a moment today, I can see how it can kind of innocently happen. I was reading a book to him which I try to do at least 3 times a day. (short, few sentences or word  books, I'm dealing with a 4 month old here) Then it happened. I was reading "Animals" to him (a small book with pictures of animals on it. I do go the extra step of making the animal sounds that correspond with the animal. Some get very creative.. if anyone knows the real sound a goose makes, hit me up) when he clumsily grabbed the book from me.

He has done this before but he always drops it a second later. This time he held on and...began turning the pages as if he was reading it to himself. I was so proud. Look at my little genius. He has tried to "help" me turn pages before, but in the wrong direction. This child, my little Einstein was looking left to right and turning the animal pages in the correct direction. Sound the trumpets, mission accomplished, go ahead and move him up a grade. I have a genius. I was literally swelling with pride and began to look frantically for my phone so I could record this epic moment when the genius stopped and the 4 month old reappeared by attempting to stick the entire book in his mouth. When the book obviously 10x too big for him would not fit in his mouth, frustration erupted and he tried many angels before throwing the book on the ground. So many not a sign of an early genius but a lesson to me. Austin will be totally awesome at something but 4 months is a little early to decide. Until then I will attempt to follow my own rules with letting him lead the genius train, but just in case I or any other parent slips up, give us a break. You put your heart and soul into this being and when they accomplish something even so small as turning page in the correct direction, it is very difficult not to swoon with pride. Call me any name in the book... I can deal...and hopefully my child will able to read it. 

For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne. 

No comments: