This fall break we took our first family vacation to visit Ashley in Charleston. I admit I was so flipping scared about the whole flying aspect. I've been on a plane with a screaming baby and you feel for the parents, you really do, but after 20 minutes you're wondering why something hasn't been done. I've heard countless times, just do something... what that something is, nobody seems to know but people's good graces give up after a while and we all just want to sit in peace. I am so happy to report that Austin did SUCH a great job. I read countless articles for tips etc. and had bottles, pacifiers, toys, books, galore and he was so flipping happy. He loved seeing people and the change in pressure did not bother him at all. He loved looking out the window and seriously it was probably one of the happiest times he has ever been. I don't know which comes first, the chicken or the egg, but we did decorate his room with a lot of planes so maybe something has stuck. Who knows, but the kid loves to fly.
Please notice he is wearing a shirt and shoes with a plane on them. Oh yeah, I'm that Mom.
Anyway, we got to Charleston, Austin took a brief nap and we went to dinner. It was the first time we have gone to dinner out. I know...he's 8 months old and we've never been out for dinner together. The kid is tired and I mean tired at 6:30 and we are not 80 yet so we end up not eating with him. Something about that city made him happy chappy though because we went to dinner and he was all smiles, sat in a high chair and loved being the center of attention.
The next day we went to Sullivan's Island. It was really quaint and pretty. The beach was so clean, not super busy and not overly developed. It was semi-warm so we decided to try the beach with him which was a huge failure. He hated the sound of waves and every time the waves would come up he would cry. After hours of coordination we were only there 45 minutes, but we tried!
Later, we went to the market downtown and to a rooftop bar for a snack and some drinks. He rallied here and was the life of the party.
He is wearing one of Philip's outfits from when he was a baby. It's a little sailor uniform, really perfect for Charleston.
We came back to the hotel and Sharon stayed with Austin and Philip, Ashley and I went to dinner. It was delicious and a nice night out.
Lastly Sunday Philip went on a fishing trip with a guide so it was a girl + Austin day. We were so excited to meet Aubrie and Sloan for brunch. The weather was perfect and it was so fun seeing our kids interact. They immediately began touching faces, taking toys, pacifiers, etc. Super cute. I had such a great time catching up with Aubrie and wished we lived closer to our babes could hang out more. Austin is only 2 days older than Sloan so Aubrie and I have really enjoyed comparing baby stories (at least I know I have).
After walking around the battery, Sloan and Aubrie went home and we went back to the hotel so Austin could nap. We thought this might be it for the night but Austin rallied and went to Halls for dinner. Omg, the best fish umm ever. We didn't have a reservation so they could only seat us in the bar. They brought a highchair up and Austin was seriously a foot below us. I as about to say we couldn't stay with Philip put the highchair over a bar stool and tied it someway it would be (semi) safe. Again, he had so much fun and smiled at tons of people there and we kept wondering who this night owl baby was. I forgot to take any pictures, sorry.
Today, we took our time getting packed, went to lunch at Poe's tavern on Sullivan's Island, and then made the trip back to Nashville. He was again so sweet and fun on the plane. I'm so thankful that Austin enjoyed traveling so much because obviously we were able to have a lot of fun but more importantly, Philip will probably agree to go somewhere else now :)
So happy on the plane!
We had an amazing trip, now I"m just exhausted and need a vacation to recover from fall break.
Clearly Austin doesn't think I need to go to work tomorrow either!
Such a fun weekend! Charleston was beautiful and I hope we are able to go back some day! For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne.
4 comments:
I am SO happy you all had such a good trip! Little Man is destined to be a world traveler!!
Austin is a super baby. The trip looks like it was a blast.
seriously he is so cute, fabulous post, miss you nat
thanks so much :) Y'all are so sweet!
Post a Comment