Monday, May 05, 2014

first ER visit

15 months from when we came home from the hospital we returned for our first scary trip to the emergency room for Austin. We were 15 minutes away from leaving to go to the Ben Folds Project at the ballet. I was trying to do too much at once, get Austin's dinner ready, pjs, diapers, etc. not to mention attempting to get myself ready. I looked up and Austin was on the third stair. We have gates but I left it open and I was about to get him off but decided to put his clothes down before I got him. Obviously that was the wrong decision because he lost his balance and fell right on his head on the hardwood floor. He instantly starting screaming. He was dizzy and even when we wanted to get down he couldn't really walk well. I asked Philip to google signs of concussion. About 5 minutes after he said puking was a sign of concussion, Austin puked twice all over everywhere. We quickly changed Austin and rushed to St. Thomas. Poor Sharon received most of the vomit (both times) and still came with us. I grabbed a shirt of mine and she changed in like 10 seconds and came to the ER. I could tell he was feeling better but I am so glad we went anyway. The doctor said he looked like he was improving but he wanted to watch him for a while rather than doing a scan. He said levels of radiation are low but he believed we over scan people and he would rather just watch him eat and hang out before we scanned him. Of course his appetite didn't suffer and we were finally free to go. We were supposed to wake him every 2 hours but he woke himself up a couple of times so we didn't really set an alarm or anything. 

The doctor said, "I have 2 boys, this will be the first of many ER visits". Let's hope the doctor is wrong about this! 

For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne. 

2 comments:

sarah said...

Right on time - our first ER trip was about 15 months I think. Don't stress momma - you can't dress him in bubble wrap and a motorcycle helmet.

Natalie Corinne said...

Thanks for the encouragement! Glad to know we're in good company.