Hello. God? (cue Madonna "life is a mystery..")
It's been well an entire summer. I can't say too much. We've been home the entire summer. Oh yeah, I've been home with a toddler an entire summer so yeah I can say much. He's gone down to one nap (I realize to those without kids this is a really boring and pathetic statement but just know surviving phasing the nap is box wine worthy) and I have even less free time. The afternoon nap is saved for showering (and then putting back on work out clothes. I've worn clothes with a legit waist approximately 3 times) cleaning, doing some kind of household project (oh yeah, we moved!) and then before you know it, little boy is awake and ready to GO! Gone are the days of the post nap snuggle. He wakes up ready to run and get into everything. possible. It has probably been my most favorite summer since the summer of '97 when I lived in Indian Point and we snuck out of Emily Jackson's house nightly to walk around. Seriously. That's all we did. We thought we were all so cool sneaking out but we would just walk around the neighborhood or occasionally the park.
I never thought I would want to be a SAHM (stay at home Mom, I remember not knowing the lingo and thinking people were weird who used it) but I've really enjoyed it and am honestly dreading going back. It is a ton of work and I would never want to not work entirely but I've been super grateful to be at home and to get to experience a lot of fun things with my boy!
I think I'm just going to do a photo dump for the next few posts and pretend I'm writing.
We played outside a lot! Despite having some major seasonal allergies (which I may add I'm really hacked off about. All these breastfeeding fanatics lead you to believe that your child will not have allergies, ear infections or any other illness so I dragged that pump all over creation and gave him "liquid gold" until almost 14 months and he has terrible, terrible, terrible allergies. Please spare me the "he would have had it worse if you didn't" because frankly I don't believe you) we have played outside almost every day. We've had a pretty mild summer minus some weeks here and there and really enjoyed it. (thanks polar vortex! muah)
We got Dad a new grill for Father's Day since we had to leave our other one at the old house and Austin started earning his keep by grilling dinner 3x a week. I don't get the no pants thing but I try not to interrupt an "artist".
We went to the park a lot. I mean really a lot. 4-5 times a week. If we didn't have other plans, I walked every morning around 8 and then he would play on the playground after for 30-45 minutes. He's gotten quite brave and attempts to do everything bigger kids do. Cute and terrifying. One of the biggest gifts of this summer has been able to see things in the eyes of a kid! The littlest things are so exciting to him. It really has been so fun!
We got to play a lot with friends which was so fun! I wish I had been better about taking pictures. I love that my friend's kids will be friends :) so sweet!
One day I was feeling guilty because all we were doing was running errands so I made a unplanned pit stop at Sweet Cee Cee's and this kid was in Heaven!
We went to story time every week, sometimes 3x a week. He really loves it. Not so much the sitting still and listening part, but he really likes the singing and LOVES the tree in the library. I think he would hang out in that tunnel all summer if we let him!
I cannot believe I'm about actually write about going to Walmart but I suppose I should go ahead and fit that typical south stereotype! We spent the most epic 2 hours in Walmart. Philip thought it wouldn't take that long to get an oil change I desperately needed so we took it there. Good Lord, 2 hours with a toddler makes you do crazy things. We played in the toy isles, sang songs, looked at bikes, and we still had an hour to go. I've been trying my best to not do processed foods with him but when some random women came over the intercom and said, "today is national donut day, please enjoy one free donut at the bakery" we were the first in line.
Even let the donut touch the table. He loved every single bite and made this cute little "ooooo" after each taste. He was in Heaven. We also sat and played with the car games in the arcade that were all broken but he really just love playing with the steering wheel. I swear he might have had more fun at Walmart than anywhere else we went during the summer. I've failed as a Mother.
LOTS of peek a boo!
We went swimming a lot. He didn't love it as much as last year. He would get frustrated by what he couldn't do. He would watch someone else go under the water and then try to do it and get frustrated. Maybe I should have gotten him in lessons.
Austin got his first hair cut. This was as happy as I could get him. Not really feeling it.
We went to car shows! (best Mom/Wife ever, nah, me?!?!)
For some reason I thought I was crafty and I attempted some craft projects. Approximately 3 % of them turned out and approximately 97 % of them were eaten.
Family time! Uncle Ben came home twice for weddings.
It has been such a nice summer at home with my little rug rat! I'm so thankful I get this time off with him. Every minute has not been easy or enjoyable to be honest but the overall experience is priceless. I'm never happier than I am being a Mommy!
For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne.
3 comments:
I LOVE all the pictures!!! He got a haircut! Such a great post!!! Hope to see you all soon. It's been way too long. :D
This is the best post ever!
I love the Walmart comments. I KNOW how much you love Walmart... as it was the only place open on Thanksgiving night... which we use to raid... We were the original Black Friday 'early' shoppers!
Post a Comment