Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Happy Birthday Shari!!!!

So being a teacher I hear almost daily, "you'll change the life of so many students" or some variation of that statement. Honestly, most the time I don't believe it and I just try to do the best I can without beginning a drug habit. I heard this again recently and started thinking of who really started my love for performing, music, and all things drama. The love for music and singing was just in my blood because I think I began singing before I began talking and walking. (Started walking at eight months, always been an over achiever) By the time I could take direction uncle Ray had Lindsay and I in coordinating outfits and pre-glee dance routines. Any family gathering (early "performance" pictured left featuring Lindsay and Carly) was an excuse for a song, dance routine, etc and the Christmas pageant? I'm not trying to sound crazy (ha) but ask anyone and I'm sure it was the highlight of the Christmas season. Maybe because we were locked away in the office and the adults could have a few minutes of adult time but whatever. We rocked the Christmas pageant (pictured left) with costumes, solos, props (usually Mamaw's place mats) and some sort of a nativity scene which often included stuffed animals or some other not so PC version that would have most of the Baptists running for the hills. My parents were of course huge allowing me to take violin lessons, taking me to Bible School, Sunday School or any other form of church where I really just enjoyed singing the songs, and overall just tolerating my belting to any song that came on the radio. But the teacher? Oh, it was for sure Mrs.Whitaker from Nolensville Elementary. First of all her entire essence screamed PERFORMANCE. She often wore big hair pieces, tons of jewelry, painted on makeup and bright, BRIGHT clothes. I thought she was always full of glamour and amazed that her hair could change so drastically. (was unaware about the magic of wigs apparently) She drove a jet black Jaguar and we used to debate whether or not she was Cruella Deville. Mrs. Whitaker required us to produce show after show after show and they were always filled with costumes, never ending medleys of show tunes, patriotic salutes and holiday singalongs. Although now I look back and hysterically laugh at the Christmas tree and Statute of Liberty costumes I gladly wore, I thought our "masterpieces" were the cream of the crop and would be totally consumed with solo opportunities, make-up, dances and of course the audience. As silly as it sounds (and it was) I have to thank Mrs. Whitaker because I continued with music and now it is my career. The very best moments of my life have all been influenced by music so influenced by Mrs. Whitaker. Maybe that's why I'm so inclined to love the big hair, jewelry and singing... who knows? So thanks Mrs. Whitaker, wherever you are. I stalked high and low and was kind of disappointed in myself to able to find pictures or anything of the legend.

FOCUS ON THE FAMILY!
In other and way more important info....It's Shair's 50th Birthday!!! Whoohooo! I have been gchatting w/ Shari and it sounds like she has had the PERFECT day! The birthday girl awoke to Sam and the cats w/ homemade signs around their perfect feline necks. Then as she got up she was pleasantly surprised by Sam's decorative signs of her favorite things all over her door and chocolate donuts provided by Tom! Yum! Carly then took her to lunch and for a pedicure and tonight she is enjoying homemade lasagna and strawberry cake. What an amazing day, oh almost forgot. Her entire yard was also decorated by two of her friends in the middle of the night! Tons and tons of black balloons covered her entire yard...only problem is now Shari can no longer claim she is 29, but I believe she will not care because of the perfect day she is enjoying! I wish we could be celebrating it together but we MUST get together soon and have a birthday celebration II.
Well I hope everyone takes time to wish Shari a happy Birthday and enjoys the rest of their day! For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie Corinne.

1 comment:

RBert said...

i like the new look of natalie's news!