Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas for new parents

There are like a million books for the first year but none that I've seen (okay, so I haven't looked either) for the first holidays, especially Christmas. 

Maybe it is just us because we celebrate Christmas 3 times but it feels totally crazy. So fun, drama free (most of the time), exciting, but crazy. I wish I had known some of this before this all started so here's a little list. 

1. Take pictures of your entire family. Sounds really obvious but we never got one of all of us. When we were doing Santa, I was filming, Philip was taking pictures, and this theme seemed to go on all weekend. We never got a picture of all 3 of us and I hate that.

2. If possible, do gifts later in the day. On Christmas Eve we celebrated with my family and they didn't come over until 9:30. Austin was able to get up, nap etc. and we were able to get stuff done before people came over. On Christmas morning we were supposed to be over at the Pratt's at 7-7:15 (we were 30 minutes late.. of 7:15). We were all so exhausted.

3. Maybe I was so exhausted because I sang a midnight church service. The service is beautiful but I didn't go to sleep until 2 and we got up at 6. I mean yes when you are in the thick of not sleeping early baby land this is normal (actually this would have been a great night toward the beginning) but when you're also hosting Christmas, etc. that is not enough sleep. I finally realized something has to give. Presents have to start later, I have to not sing the midnight service... something. We had a wonderful time but I was so exhausted, a lot of Christmas morning felt like a haze and I don't want to feel that way every Christmas. 

4. If you enjoy cooking, great.. but if it doesn't work out, you just don't want to, or it doesn't happen. No big deal. We cooked for my family and I planned a very simple breakfast casserole, biscuits, and of course mimosas. For lunch Philip smoked prime rib and I roasted asparagus, potatoes and carrots. That's it. I ran out of time for dessert but I mean I need another Christmas dessert like a hole in my head. I brought leftovers for the Christmas Eve party and brought literally nothing to the Pratt's. It has always kind of bothered me that I don't have anything I bring anywhere that I'm "known for". I thought about making another breakfast casserole after the Christmas Eve service but finally just let go. I really do enjoy cooking and usually stress out about making something "memorable" but this year I really just ran out of time and no one cared whatsoever. 

5. Nothing is really worth all the extra stress. Austin's sweet smile made the day and everything else feel extraordinary. 

I'm sure there is more... but overall the amount of presents, food, outfits, etc. do not matter. Precious moments with friends and family are the best presents of all. As cheesy as it sounds, I truly believe this! 

For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne. 

1 comment:

RBert said...

Aunt observation: kids enjoy the cheapest gifts the most.