Friday, January 09, 2009

relief

So last night I was at home watching one of my guilty pleasure television shows, "The Girls Next Store" and embarrassingly I felt a little jealous. These girls were having so much fun and wearing cute little outfits and looked amazingly happy. I was feeling a little sorry for myself, I have to get up so early and come and be a serious teacher all day long, and worst of all... I had a parent/teacher conference this morning. It's true teachers always claim that the door to communication is always open but that's a big ol' lie. The idea of having a parent conference scares me to death. Face to face talking is so intense, I would much rather communicate where I can make strange faces openly like with e-mail or phone calls. But this parent requested a for real conference and I was terrified. I think I am so against the parent/teacher conference because of my third grade teacher. I remember my mom having a conference with her and it scared me so much and I felt like I was in trouble the entire time. That same feeling surrounds my insides even though I am the teacher now...weird. Thousands of thoughts swept my mind of what I should say, what I should bring and most importantly, what should I wear? Since it is Friday, we can wear jeans and I look forward to this like we all look forward to payday, so there was no way a silly conference was going to make me miss feeling the greatness of jeans. But what to wear with jeans? I want to say, I'm nice but I can't be bullied with my clothes so I decided to go with this purple jacket my mom recently bought for me. Cute, but classy. I got to school, pumped myself up with loads of coffee AND diet coke (yeah New Years resolution... not really working so well) and went to my first period class. The conference was at 9 so I would have to teach then run down during my planning period. But today first period was unlike most days but today was report card day. Don't let any teacher fool you. Report card day is a step below Christmas because students are scared to breath fearing the dread of the report card. I love it. Anyway, after first period I made the long walk down to the conference room in the office and I was greeted with the best news I could ever dream... she's not coming! "What?!?!?" I questioned excitedly..."is she rescheduling?!?" The counselor quickly informed me that she was not! OH HAPPY DAY! The student was having problems with another student and they decided to work it out among themselves without ME. Thank the dear sweet Lord Jesus, the weekend is already starting out way better than I planned and my jealousy for the Hugh Hefner's girls quickly faded. (plus we all know they broke up anyway)

In other news brother Ben flies back tomorrow and we all await his safe return to the south! We all cannot wait to hear of his adventures and I am sure he took lots of pictures to remember this amazing trip....right.
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! For Natalie's News this has been Natalie-Corinne.

1 comment:

Ray said...

My favorite scene for parent teacher conferences in in "OverBoard" when Goldie Hawn confronts the teacher. It is a classic. I think you need to collect clips of your favorite parent teacher confrontations to prepare yourself. You can even incoporate some good comebacks and ssyings to have in your pocket. I will suggest the following two sayings for your future conferences: "Well I've never" or "your daughter's dumb as dirt, good bless her, but she tries".