Monday, March 23, 2009

pop quiz

So at the painful hour of 5:15 the alarm hatefully rang and woke me up proving that Spring Break 2009 had officially come to an end and the last 9 weeks of school was upon us. I was happy to be home to see my wild kitty but the wonderful week of sleeping in made it even harder to get up before the sun. I came back to school and the kids were crazier than ever. A week at home with out in school drama gave them too much time to create gossip over texting, facebook, bebo, and other communications devices so the halls were swarming with he said/ she said before 7:20am, way too early for such nonsense. My homeroom was extremely talkative and loud. Maybe it was because I was removed for so long or maybe the students were really too loud but I could not take it so I did what any good teacher does. I gave them a welcome back quiz. I decided I would not stress over making them listen. I went over notes and definitions, gave great examples, took questions from some students while some continued to whisper and pass notes. Finally I said in my best teacher voice, "okay, put everything away and take out a pencil and paper and separate into your test seats". Panic struck the room because this is the last day before grades are printed for report cards and a bad quiz grade can really hurt students! Many students gave me the usual groans, pathetic faces, but one very talkative student named Tyeisha responded loudly, "how you gonna give us a pop quiz on the first day back from spring break?" I looked at her with the most evil teacher smile I could give and responded softly back, "welcome back". Small and precious victory. Now that the students were scared they were quiet which is worth more money that I shall ever know.


In other news, yes spring break is over for good. In my last weekend in the boondocks (aka Arkansas) I went to the Wiederkehr winery in further West Arkansas. The winery is located in Altus, Arkansas where the famous Paris and Nicole began their adventures in The Simple Life. The winery began with a tasting where the t-shirt wearing employees looked less than thrilled to be working. People from far and wide watched the movie Sideways before attending and were proud of their wino questions while the employees irritatedly answered with snobby faces. I guess when one has been working in a winery for a while one may get tired of faux wrangler wearing wino's but I was surprised with the obvious frustration from the employees. Finally it was time for the grand tour of the winery. An employee in a orange Nike T-shirt with matching jogging pants gave the tour and was equally ready to be finished as the other employees. There were surprisingly a lot of folks on the tour and they fell into one of two categories. First were the folks who were really eager to be there so they could learn facts about wine and impress their friends and two the group who read wikipedia before they left and had prepared questions to feel important...well I guess there were three because I fell into the group who thought the whole thing was a sham. I felt badly for the first two groups because the tour provided hardly any knowledge and when anyone asked a question the tour guide belittled them...sad. But on a positive note, the wine and the little restaurant were very good. The restaurant (pictured right) used to be the Wiederhehr home back in the later 1800s and now is a restaurant where the waitresses really dress like the picture! The trip made me think fondly of the long ago trip to Europe with Ray and Lindsay and all of our great experiences...Thank God now I actually have a tolerance and did not serenade anyone on a train ride after a little wine.


Well I best get back to work! I hope everyone has a wonderful week. For Natalie's News this has been Natalie-Corinne.

No comments: