Sometime circa kindergarten or first grade I watched Adventures in Babysitting at my best friend Ashley's house. I was not allowed to watch PG-13 movies and let's be real, this was so cool. My friend Ashley had a pool, an older sister who knew pretty much everything and was very pretty, and she could watch mature movies that included every kind of 80's drama including an outrageous amount of hairspray. Anyway, all night they go around Chicago attempting the impossible.
Currently, I feel like I'm attempting the impossible. I've been really anxious about, well everything so we took a birth class this weekend. I'm really glad we took it, I feel a lot better, and have even more questions to ask my baby doc. Other than all the "responsible" stuff we learned, there were also some more highlights.
The instructor was an "experienced" labor nurse and said "ok---aaayyy" approximately 5,000 times an hour and lacked using adverbs. She seemed so sweet and knowledgeable and I would have loved her for my nurse. She was a bit hippy-dippy, earth lover and pushed the natural birth hardcore. Then she proceeded to show labor stories of women without meds and all of them seemed totally miserable and 10 years older.
We also practiced all of these humbling activities like fake pushing, breathing, squatting and other gems. I would love to pretend that P and I were really mature but rest assured we laughed so hard I was afraid we would be kicked out. During the relaxation portion where our instructor was teaching the partners how to comfort the mother in labor, she gave different massage techniques while we were lying on the ground. They were actually really helpful but something about lying on the ground with 24 other people was just super awkward and I couldn't stop laughing. I literally had to cover my face.
After P said we better pull it together we were able to make it through the rest of the class with minimal laughter interruptions.
Although I know we learned a lot, I felt a little lame because of how funny we thought, well everything was and all the other couples seemed super serious and missed all of the insanely hilarious and awkward moments of the class. For a second I panicked and thought this was already a sign that we would be bad parents, but then I realized that everyone else was just super sad and lacked an amazing sense of humor. Suckas.
Happy weekend! For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne.




3 comments:
I feel like I would be equally immature in that situation...probably moreso because I would be making That's what She Said jokes after everything
D and I were completely ridiculous during our birth class and made fun of the other couples for months. Do not worry, you are going to do fine. No one can prepare you so just accept that you have awesome doctors and awesome instincts and awesome drugs and you will do fine. Seriously.
Kimmie... thank you, this and our insane text convos proves why we are friends.
Natalie.. I'm so glad y'all have inside jokes too. We will forever have one about a doggy door. It's all too awkward not to joke about! :)
Post a Comment