my new life as an adult I have felt it necessary to listen to NPR while driving to school, read CNN daily, and pretty much become an old fart. But secretly... in my own little corner in my own little room I bust out some embarrassing delights that I have decided to share with you. Although my pride as a "serious" musician may suffer greatly, my goal is that you also find comfort and joy in these "classics". Here goes.Embarrassing hits you should listen to... especially at work.
Beyonce Knowles: You must know bout me. Not really sure why this song is so good. When I first heard it I thought, this song is awful, but slowly it grew on me and now I totally jam to it.. secretly of course. I think its the lyrics about being independent that does it for me. Whatev
er the case, you will feel somewhat cool because it is "hip hop" (for white folks) and even if it is only for a fleeting second you have a feeling of complete control and confidence. You don't need that man.. girl he must not know bout me and my awesomeness. Get it Beyonce.Madonna: Like A Prayer. I feel badly putting the words embarrassing and Madonna in the same category but this old school hit is not the song that screams professionalism. The hand-clapping hit is a total rock out by yourself in your car kind of song. Don't even try to deny you wishing you were a member of that insanely lucky gospel choir that sang back up. I love to sing this song and think yeah, Madonna can take me there. Not really sure where we're going, but I'd go with her.
Whitney Houston: I wanna dance with somebody. Oh Lord, old school Whitney. Pre-Bobby, pre- crack is wack, pre-religious "enlightenment" good ol' looks like she eats Whitney Houston. Who couldn't love that song? It really does so many good things in one. The beat is simple enough that even the most uncoordinated of dancers can manage to fake a side to side on this one. Plus there are tons of opportunities in the "ooh and ahh" section to work your dra
matic faces as you jam out. Most of all it is totally fun and really who doesn't wanna dance?
matic faces as you jam out. Most of all it is totally fun and really who doesn't wanna dance? Next, Soft Cell: Tainted Love. This one really is bad, but so so bad that it's embarrassingly good. I'm almost too ashamed to share this one but you know you like it too. It is one of those songs that if you were stuck in a room with only this one song you would realize that your soul was given up on and you are in the far underworld but once a year or so it can be a really fun time. I especially love the sound effects in the back grounds, what an opportunity for awful dancing to accompany the awful music.

And while I could go on all day but I must return to work I shall leave you with the most amazing work song ever. A song that give you hope that one can do all. That amazing song is by Journey: Midnight train or as many people know it... don't stop believing. Who cannot appreciate the wonderful lyrics about that small town girl and that seedy boy from south Detroit? Those power chords, the electric guitar solo and then finally, yes Lord finally the power chorus at the end...you know we are all shouting it alone. This is one of the very few songs where fist pump is not only acceptable, it is pretty much required and playing your air guitar is smiled upon...only alone of course. It is so amazing. While listening I realize that we must never stop believing and we should all hold on to that feeling. Thank you Journey, thank you.
Please feel free to add your own suggestions for loveable bad music in the comment section. As Americans we should all cheer each other on in the never ending search for small victories during the day. I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their hump-day. For Natalie's News this has been Natalie-Corinne.

7 comments:
Shari's "Secret" love to hate awful songs:
5. Just about anything by Hall and Oates (OMG! I said that out loud!)
4. Prince - Raspberry Beret- The lyrics are ludicrous but there's something about it
3. Ice Ice Baby
2. You Can't Touch this! Hammer Time!!
1. Theme from Titanic (There, I admitted it. I like it.)
omg omg those are all so good :) we should make mix cds for Christmas and party with them...maybe even some performances will be needed...
OK, you've really inspired me. Shari also make some good choices, but I feel the need to round out the list a bit. I just wish I could sing each of my recommendations to you personally.
5. WHAM- Wake me Up! There is nothing that will help give you that second wind than this wonderful George Michael classic. Personally, it makes me want to race to the mirror and flip my hair to the side.
4. RuPaul- SuperModel-- Because 'you better work'. This song is a true inspiration to all us undiscovered supermodels... and it creates the need to make a runway walk to the water fountain.
3. Abba- Money, Money, Money-- After all, why are we working in the first place? Please be sure to hav several one dollar bills to throw in the air during the chorus.
2. Dolly Parton- 9 to 5- Least we forget our Tennessee country roots during the work day, Dolly captured the true spirit of our daily grind. It's hard not to slap your hip and grab a pair of spoons to add to the acoustics.
1. Donna Summer- She Works Hard for the Money. When listening to this song, your work enemies need to be far away least you lecture them on how hard you work for that money and how they just better treat you right.
Honorable mention are: Aretha's "Sisters are doing it for themselves"; AC/DC Highway to Hell; Heart's Barracuda; Elton's Crocodile Rock; and Cher's Believe.
What about anything from Paula Abdul's "Forever Your Girl" album. Remember "Cold Hearted Snake" and how the video was so racy for the time? Carly was 2 and could sing the chorus from "Opposites Attract", my greatest accomplishment as a mother to this day!! LOL!!
OK, rookies......
How can you forget-
1.Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd- best anthem song ever to fly free, bird, yeah
2.Radar Love by Golden Earring-been drivin' all nite, my hand's wet on the wheel......may have had some effect on me at a young age and why I love road trips
3.The Time of My Life from Dirty Dancing....picture Swayze kickin' it down that aisle and no apologies are needed
4.Juke Box Hero by Foreigner.....he got stars in his eyes!!!!!
5.Lady by Little River Band, OMG, the cheesiest but most irresistible song to sing to ever!
All Very Good!Who could not like You can't touch this!
1.Sussudio - Phil Collins
2.We Are The World-USA For Africa
3.We Built This City -Starship
4.Dancing on the Ceiling - Lionel
Richie.Lionel is my Hall&Oates
5.Everybody Have Fun Tonight-Wang Chung
Honorable Mention to - All Out Of Love - Air Supply.
I am sure most of the oldies here have sung at least one line of these before .
okay NOW I really mean it.. lets forget the drawing of names and burn cds of this awesome music for Christmas!! Well I'm doing it anyway. Expect an illegal burned copy of this music for Christmas everyone
Post a Comment