Monday, November 17, 2008

fun.. that's whats up

Weekend Update:
So usually I totally have a case of the Mondays but this weekend was so great and rewarding that I feel rejuvinated and ready to be a teacher. Friday I went to sushi with roommate Claire and friend Tiffany. After a wonderful dinner we went to Parish's to see long lost friend attorney Mr. Kevin. It was great catching up and feeling social again. After Parish's we ended the night at Blue Pan Grill with the really hot waiters. I do not know what is about this location but the help is really hot and we are always determined to get Ms. Claire a hot date. She loves it. After all the socializing I was not really all that excited to go to the school book club but I am so happy that I went. I arrived with my teacher friend Jessica to a deserted and cold school. Quickly we began popping pop corn and getting all the candy ready. I know this is a book club but kids love food so whatever works. Kids began arriving and I could not believe how many students wanted to join a book club that met at school on Saturdays! We sat in the bean bags in the library and began discussing what everyone wanted out of the book club. Of course being the life of the party my demand was made first that I wanted our meetings to be fun. Right after my request a student yelled, "Fun, that's what's up!" which quickly became the logo of our book club. Obviously not too much to do with reading other than we are making it really fun and hip. We have already planned our first fundraiser so we can take field trips thatcorrespond to the book we are reading. I totally stole an idea from Mean Girls the movie (pre- Lohan breakdown) and we are going to sell candy canes for a quarter. Students can send them to friends and whoever gets the most candy canes wins something. Our first trip will be to the University of Mississippi and students will be able to take a tour of the campus and then go to a basketball game (we plan to read a sports related book). Seeing students really excited to learn reminded me of why I liked teaching and kids. I know I am doing this for them but really that book club was so beneficial for me. Basically I'm Oprah and I fed my soul. After the book club I planned to go to the Ole Miss game but it was rainy and gross so I stayed in and got some work done. Saturday night I was blessed to see my stranger friend Rebecca Bertarnd and her finance Smitty. After the catch up I saw the new James Bond movie. Wowza. I won't give anything away but there is no hour long card game family, so you will enjoy it. Sunday I played tour guide to some visitors to Oxford. We enjoyed the historic square, Faulkner's home and a lovely dinner at Yocona River Inn. If you have never dined at Yocona I strongly suggest it. While it is not cheap, the food, service, and atmosphere are well worth it. Yocona River Inn is in the town of Yocona about 10 miles outside of Oxford. The restaurant is an old house and one of the only places one can bring adult beverages on a Sunday. Lastly we took the guests back to Colonel's Quarters (pictured right) bed and breakfast and had an illegal adult beverage. It is illegal to sell any beverage of that nature on a Sunday and somehow they do it, I'm totally okay with this breaking of the rules.


In other news the holidays are upon us and I am sad that I will not see my extended family this year at Thanksgiving. I am also sad with the lack of chocolate pie and endless supply of stuffing and all the other southern goodness. But I am totally counting down the days until I have a week off of school! Luckily our extended family will meet in December and due to the success of the song blog I am determined to make this season the Christmas of Song. We really need a sing-along and a pageant. If you have any ideas, lets allow this to be the forum. I feel that scripts, music, carols etc are all needed. Since becoming a teacher, I have become more bossy than normal so I will place myself at the head of this new tradition and hold try outs over the phone. Call for an audition time. Well speaking of teaching I need to get back to working!
Have a great day!
For Natalie's News this has been Natalie-Corinne.

1 comment:

Shari Bac said...

I predict that your book club will some day be featured on the Oprah show and thus lead you on a whole new career course you never dreamed of.
I am also excited about the "Christmas of Song" pageant and am officially submitting my request to audition for the part of Baby Jesus. I am still really good at curling up in the fetal position and sucking my thumb! If that doesn't fit in with your pagent plan, I also can bark and howl "real good" and could bark/howl "Jingle Bells". I might even be persuaded to wear a dog costume if such could be provided.