With all of the wonderful news coverage concerning president-elect Obama, we seem to see less and less of current president Bush. Although I was and still am so pleased with the outcome of the previous election I began thinking about George W. He has been president for a third of my life. All of my college, graduate school and beyond years have been under his rule. I remember being in a cab in Paris with Uncle Ray and Lindsay and talking about him becoming president! I know he has more time before he leaves, I think it will be appropriate to look back at some special "Bushisms" that we will all miss. 
First Family Party Fouls: Now the Bush twins (pictured left) are grown, beautiful, world-saving, ivy league grads but I remember the good old days when those girls were caught drinking margaritas. I mean who doesn't have a little fun when they are in college and their dad is the leader of the free world? Unfortunately, I think the new Jonas Brothers loving first family is too young for such slip ups, but at least we have this to look back and remember. Ahh memories. 

NUCLEAR: Like I even have to elaborate.. but I will. For some reason our leader likes to add an extra u into the mix of things, and really what is it hurting? With this big ol country of ours it is amazing we all even speak the same language, so what if a couple of words get some added syllables. As a southerner we should all realize that we like to add an r to "wash", for example, Mother Michelle WARSHES clothes or we like to add an r to words such as window..example "Sam, shut that winder". Or even better, our vowels become 2, 3, even 4 syllables. Even my brother's name.. Ben, or the writing utensil, a pen. Sure lots of people will use th
e boring one syllable, but life is short, prolong that word. The brother's name becomes Be-in and the writing tool becomes pi-in.. the way God intended.Cheney (pictured right before auditioning for Broke back Mountain): This mysterious and scary man looks like he would be the type to come and take your kids away and we all know he has his way with the weapons, especially during hunting season, but to me Cheney always seems like there is this amazing subtext running in his mind and I always want to know what it is. Behind that stern growl, is there softness? What is really going on in that mi
nd of his? I will miss seeing his very rare television appearances and trying to read his body language and mind.
nd of his? I will miss seeing his very rare television appearances and trying to read his body language and mind. Lastly The Bush Grin: Do you know what I mean? That little grin Bush used to win over the hearts of Americans and we would think, Oh George! Think what you will about Bush, that little grin shows Americans a different side of our leader. Even for just a second one sees what seems to be a little bit of innocence and childlike charm. Being a teacher, rascals run around wild and somehow with that little grin it always softens my heart.. for about a millisecond. President Bush always has that little grin and I will miss seeing it every once and a while.
With all of this change it is nice to remember the old. Remember, not repeat though :) For Natalie's News this has been Natalie-Corinne.
4 comments:
What a great sentimental journey you have taken us on. You have brought me to tears (laughing that is).
I will miss his walk.. you know, that arms held away from his side like he is a steroid muscleman finishing a workout and daring someone to rile him up?
I will miss all the dead on comedic impressions. Will Farrell at the top of the list. That special eyebrow and dumbfounded look is hard to capture.
I will miss the Bushisms... all the funnny litte sayings that made us so proud to have him as our educated, knowledgable, trusted leader. And all those 'new words' that were invented that helped define a generation. A few of my favorites are:
"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country." YUCCKKY!
and
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?"
and
"Amigo! Amigo!" calling out in spanish to the Italian President earlier this year.
Sayounara, Mr. President. I will miss the sound of your voice activating my gag reflex and helping me to lose weight.
Uncle Ray
I love the part about the little grin but to me it says, " Can you believe I'm gettin' away with this she-it?"
BTW, North Mississippi Allstars 02/12/09 Oxford, MS @ The Lyric.
Tickets onsale now online.
Nice Post
I totally agree about Bushie's "little boy" grin. Ray will probably never admit this, but I remember when he was running the very first time, Ray said he thought Dubya was cute!! With that impish grin, can't you just see him at some State dinner looking around at all the women in their finery and thinking, "wish I had me a horny toad to put down sumbody's perty dress and watch 'em squeal!"
Now Tricky Dicky is another thing altogether. He sits at the dinners thinking, "He should be shot, and him, and him and him.....". He really does look like the evil "stranger" our mama's all warned us about.
Post a Comment