Monday, January 26, 2009

Monday Movie Madness

So the Oscars are coming and in just in time Oxford has blessed with a new (well new again I guess) movie theater. This theater closed about two years ago due to financial struggles. I believe they over fancied themselves with alcohol, deluxe seating, speciality foods etc. The theater has been vacant and some brave soul reopened it during the recession, but Praise be to God it is only $5.00. I KNOW.. that's cheaper than the matinee in most places. So now we have a cheap theater with all the advantages of the old fanciness. Between every two seats in the theater there is a little table for your treats (obviously snuck in for me), personal items etc. They also have a huge food selection. I have not eaten any of the food but patrons can choose between, chicken wings, tenders, hot dogs, hamburgers etc. It's like any sporting event concession stand at the movies.. the cheap movies. God is this Heaven? Oh no, it's the theater. Anyway, because of the new theater I feel so in the know with all of this year's Oscar worthy performances so I thought I would rate the movies I have seen recently. Of course I have not seen all of the movies nominated but usually I have maybe seen one movie so this is quite exciting. Oh but if you have not seen the movies, no worries, there will be no plot spoilers. On with the show!

Benjamin Button: I saw this about two weeks ago in Oxford and was pleasantly surprised. Honestly I did not want to see this. Call me old fashioned but even with Brad's generosity after Katrina and Angie's mission to save the children, I am still loyal to Team Anniston. I realize all other parties have moved on and perhaps so should I but still a tad disapproving of the whole situation, and am always apprehensive about supporting either of their movies. Call it loyal or lunatic, it's just the truth. But anyway, I saw it irregardless of moral convictions because it was a compromise. I was stunned with the make up and effects of this movie. Brad Pitt genuinely looks and acts so old and young at the same time. It is really incredible. Pitt's acting is amazing however I was not a huge fan of the Katrina/hospital modern time scenes in between the flashbacks. The acting between the daughter and the mother was not on par with the rest of the cast and I thought it was kind of hard to believe. There were also holes in the story like when the mother went to live with Benjamin in the old folk's house when Benjamin was becoming a small child. It seems like she lives there for years and then she just tells the daughter as she's dying.. how did the daughter not know her mother moved? Hole. BUT although I do complain, I would recommend seeing this movie. I do believe it will receive several Oscars, hopefully for make up, design etc. Rating: 8

Grand Torino: What do you think about when you hear the term, injustice of the century? Sure so many actual terrible events may come to mind but when speaking of the cinema, Clint Eastwood (pictured left) being snubbed for Best Actor is by far the worst. This movie was so incredible. Eastwood commands the screen with his unapologetic racism toward immigrants in his neighborhood is shocking and better yet is the way this stubborn man changes when he gets to know his neighbor. I thought it was the best acting I have seen maybe ever... for sure a must see! Oh.. it must be said, you if you are easily offended by obscene language, this might not be the film for you otherwise..Rating: 10



The Boy in the Striped Pajamas: Bring your tissues! Seeing young and innocent children react to the Holocaust is mesmerizing. I do not know where they get these child actors but they are incredible! A German family moves to the country because the Dad is the German leader of a concentration camp. There are two children, the main character Bruno (pictured right) who is 8 and his sister who is 12. The wife and children do not realize what the concentration is and that it is located so near the house. Bruno makes friends with a young Jewish boy (pictured left) and goes to see him daily and they visit on their opposite sides of the barb wire fence. Seeing the family's reaction to learning their father is the leader of the death camp is amazing because they differ greatly. It is hard enough to watch anything about the Holocaust but when little innocent kids are involved it is almost too much to take but the movie is so good if you are at all interested in the Holocaust etc I would for sure recommend seeing it! Rating: 10

Vicky Christinia Barcelona: I really don't remember if this is even nominated but I saw it so I will write about it anyway. This film was much more light hearted than the previous two movies. The movie is about two friends who have recently graduated from college and are going to spend the summer with an aunt in Barcelona, Spain. It is one of the rare films that uses a narrator successfully that is not James Earl Jones. The subject matter is rather mature and shocking, but I thought the best part was seeing the beauty of Barcelona and several other cities in Spain. The only annoying part of the movie was that most of the main characters were artists, photographers, professional students etc and had no known source of income, however they all seemed to be doing quite well and were able to go to dinner frequently and travel whenever they wanted. Everyone drank and ate frequently yet they were all skinny and beautiful...like life should be. Other than that, it was a good movie..made me want to travel. OH, great sound track too! Rating: 7.5
Although I have never claimed to be a movie expert, I like my opinions, so hopefully you will too! I hope everyone has a wonderful day, for Natalie's News this has been Natalie-Corinne.

2 comments:

Ray said...

I agree with your comments about Benjamin Button. It was good, entertaining, but NOT best picture and I just didn't quite think the performances were Oscar worthy.

Gran Torino was good, and Eastwood was superb. I was a bit disappointed in the ending. I wanted some kind of dramatic showing of the whole neighborhood turning out so that his family could see what kind of guy he was being for the neighborhood. It was a too suttle ending.

My vote for best actor definitely goes to Sean Penn for MILK. I thought he did a fantastic job and the movie is extremely engaging and tells a really interesting 70's story. I want to let my hair grow out!

Best movie of the year is definitely Slumdog Millionaire!!

WORST movies of the year have to be Paul Blart: Mall Cop and Seven Pounds with Will Smith.

Best Comedies are: Tropic Thunder and Step Brothers!! Woo Hoo! Michelle, when are they going to bring Three's Company to the big screen!

Natalie Corinne said...

I haven't seen Milk or Slum dog but they are coming to Oxford soon! yay!