Thursday, January 22, 2009

what had happened was...

I know it has been ages since my last posting and so many HUGE events have taken place I keep feeling more and more overwhelmed with the daunting task of covering everything, but I will try. First let up back up to last weekend with the reoccuring event...
Focus on the Family
This weekend I went home and enjoyed a wonderful and long weekend with my family. I was lucky enough to go home early on Friday and enjoyed a much needed hour of therapy...err massage therapy. After the wonderful hour of massage I went shopping for the best birthday girl I know... my momma! Michelle celebrated a big birthday in style with many events surrounding the weekend. (I will detail shortly) Later I enjoyed dinner of Mexican and margaritas and game night with high school friends Jenna and Taylor. They recently purchased their first home and we went over to see their adorable neighborhood and decor the newlyweds have quickly added. They have done so much work so quickly and it made me gaze fondly of the days I will have something like that... but my dream has a contractor and a painter to do all the home improvements, on time and under budget. Anyway, Saturday mother Michelle and I began what ended up being the six hour trek to pick up brother Ben. We were supposed to meet Ben half way his practice ran later etc. so the trip was extended but we were so happy to be together and pick up the little runt. After returning home we enjoyed light tapas and Michelle opened her gift from me and Ben. Later we went to dinner at the Yellow Porch... so posh. We had reservations at 8pm but they were running very late so we did not get seated until almost 9 BUT we got some free appetizers and in our family free food is always a good thing. We dined on modern southern food and really enjoyed being together. After dinner, we came home and ate strawberry cake and spent the entire night just hanging out. Michelle thought the party was over.. but oh no! It had only just begun. For quite some time now, masterminds Shari and I have been planning a family surprise gathering and Sunday was the big day! At noon my family went and saw Gran Tarino and then little birthday fairies (aka the Bacurins) beautifully decorated our house with colorful streamers and balloons. While we enjoyed one of the best movies ever, the extended family secretly gathered for a surprise lunch! We arrived at Maggianos and Michelle walked up the stairs and was greeted by our wonderful family; what a great birthday surprise. Michelle and our family were so grateful for everyone coming and celebrating her big day. After lunch we went back to the house and Michelle was once again surprised with the decorated house and cake! Surely that is it...but oh no, there is more! Shari had one more surprise left for sister Michelle. Secretly, Shari compiled pictures from Michelle's lifetime and put them on a dvd; it was so great. We all watched and laughed at the sometimes crazy poses, style choices (helmet hair, for real!!!) etc. It was such a great way to end the brithday fun and I know Michelle enjoyed this birthday the best! Success!




In other news...WE HAVE A NEW PRESIDENT! Praise the Lord, Barack Obama is our new commander and chief! I awoke Tuesday refreshed from a long weekend (described above) and ready to begin school (which is very rare). Luckily, our principals encouraged classes to watch the inaguration on our televisions if we chose to, so of course all of my classes did. I began addicted to the news coverage and now feel like I know the Obamas like my own family. The entire service was beautiful and so peaceful. You could feel the optimism, hope, and excitement in the air even down here in Mississippi. I thought President Obama (wow... to say that is still amazing) gave such a powerful speech and it was just what the American public needed to hear. And please let us not forget...everyone looked amazing. I believe stylists have really picked up their game and everyone looks very polished from head to toe. Of course the first family looked amazing and I thought Michelle looked incredible in her evening gown (pictured left during their first dance) but I believe a special shout out is needed for second lady, Jill Biden. That little dress and high boot... Dr. Biden is styling! Maybe SHE should be our secretary of style. I could not find a picture of her in her inaguration attire but the first and second ladies are both pictured beautifully to the right. Looking good, America!
Well, what a week it has been for everyone! I hope everyone has a great rest of the week and even better weekend! For Natalie's News this has been Natalie-Corinne.

2 comments:

Ray said...

The Presidential festivities were incredible! Nat, you MUST get Aretha's hat! I was just disappointed that Barack didn't ask Shari to sing I'm Proud to Be An American
Uncle Ray

Shari Bac said...

Well, actually, Ray, he did! I just didn't want to steal his thunder on his special day.