Monday, April 18, 2011

Another lovely convo...



While I was attempting to cram TCAP items into my 7th graders' heads I attempted to create this hip hop unit combining metaphors, similes, tone, and other literary devices that are often found in music.

After listening to some hip hop musical examples that contained metaphors, I asked my students to write their own (went over like a lead balloon, I might add...) metaphors. The first request was for the students to create a metaphor comparing a family member to an aspect of the universe.

It went down something like this...

"My dad is so big he has his own orbit" Student 1


"Like in family guy?" Me.


"(REALLY HUGE GASP) You know what family guy is?!?!?!?!" Student 1

"Umm yeah, probably been watching it longer than you" Me.

"Do you know what adult swim is?" Student 2

"Umm yes" Me

"Do you watch it?" Student 1

"Yes" Me

"That is so crazy, I thought for sure you would watch Lifetime: Television for Women" Student 2 (what about me puts off that I "for sure" watch Lifetime is still unknown...even funnier that I never watch Lifetime except for Project Runway and that one time last year I made P and I watch the Pregnancy Pact...it was awful and I was taught a lesson once again about the danger of made for tv drama)

"Wait so you watch Adult Swim?" Student 3

"Once again, yes" Me

"I can't believe you stay up that late" Student 3

And then it hit me...Holy Lord, God. They think I am 83...obviously too old to be aware of what this modern television is, eat early bird specials at Golden Corral, and retire to bed by 8:00PM at the latest (after my radio programs, of course).

I guess to a 13 year old I am super old...little do they know that I still rock out to Rihanna on the way home. Perhaps we shall keep it that way.

For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

hysterical! If they only knew how totally awesome and rad you are!

Natalie Corinne said...

ha, thanks!