So it's been a blog eternity. I've missed all kind of cultural events, random thoughts, birthdays, pictures, etc. My biggest apologies to my parents aka readers of this blog. Today I found myself have deja vu "all over again". When I was in second grade Mrs. Sawyers of the prestigious Nolensville Elementary had a killer bulletin board with a big, colorful calendar that of course she changed monthly. She also had the birthdays of every student in the class on huge laminated birthday cakes over the lockers. Apparently I looked at them constantly because I still remember a lot of the birthdays in my class.
For example in March the poster looked like this...
Natalie 3
Sarah 5
Felicia 18
etc. I also attribute myself being a teacher to Mrs. Sawyer's magic ability t
o remove permanent marker with aqua net hairspray. Come to think about it, Mrs. Sawyer was so fascinating to this 2nd grader. One time she took me home and bought me a Fresca. Lucky thing too because she offered for me to use her fancy pants cup holder that had a real button when pushed the cup holder would just pop out! All I knew about cup holders at this point was that my friend Courtney's Mom had plastic ones that attached to the window. I saw these first navy and plastic cup holders on the way to the pool. Before the ride with Mrs. Sawyer, I
thought Courtney's Mom was fancy with her diet coke resting hands free in her attached to the window cup holder but soon I found out that was just the poor man's cup holder, bwah. (seriously, why do I remember cup holders so vividly?) Anyway, in the April bulletin board she had this great
"April showers bring May flowers" boarder with raindrops over the April and flowers around the May and even a flower serving as the "a". Wow. I was seriously impressed and confused by this statement and had to ask my all knowing teacher for explanation. She told me it rained a lot in April, which could spoil many days but this was needed in order to bring beautiful May flowers. So the advice was good enough for this inquisitive 7 year old. Although my wise second grade teacher prepared me for the massive amount of rain she did not prepare me for the last TWO Mondays.
o remove permanent marker with aqua net hairspray. Come to think about it, Mrs. Sawyer was so fascinating to this 2nd grader. One time she took me home and bought me a Fresca. Lucky thing too because she offered for me to use her fancy pants cup holder that had a real button when pushed the cup holder would just pop out! All I knew about cup holders at this point was that my friend Courtney's Mom had plastic ones that attached to the window. I saw these first navy and plastic cup holders on the way to the pool. Before the ride with Mrs. Sawyer, I
thought Courtney's Mom was fancy with her diet coke resting hands free in her attached to the window cup holder but soon I found out that was just the poor man's cup holder, bwah. (seriously, why do I remember cup holders so vividly?) Anyway, in the April bulletin board she had this great Last Monday the skies opened out and poured out buckets of rain and even a tornado or two. Although this happens a lot in TN, I don't thin
k folks realize the crazy that can take place with out bathrooms, lights, air, or much sanity in. a. middle. school. The power went out when of course it would, while I was sitting on the toilet. I felt my way around well enough to wash my hands and find my way out of the teacher's lounge. Kids were already screaming because suddenly everyone is afraid of the dark. I will give them some credits because ONLY TWO EMERGENCY LIGHTS WORKED...so there we are, all lining the halls first head down in a hot, crowded, mess. After a while we realized we would be here the rest of the day and everyone was allowed to sit down. The students' reactions were varied. Some were so mad at the teachers for actually making them sit... on the floor? In the hallway... during a tornado? So.......lame, erking, doing too much, petty, etc. etc. etc. Shortly the storm passed but the lights left most of Nashville for the rest of the day. Buses were insanely late so started the mad dash to reach some sort of guardian to come and pick up the little munchins. By hour 2 the halls resembled a free for all and my actions of attempting to keep kids seated reached apathy pretty quickly. I saw so many of the same students "going to find their phone" roaming the dark halls. To quote the greatest movie from my generation Clueless (duh) "that is a law suit waiting to happen". After the crazy I got home late and thought I must have dreamed such an insane day.
k folks realize the crazy that can take place with out bathrooms, lights, air, or much sanity in. a. middle. school. The power went out when of course it would, while I was sitting on the toilet. I felt my way around well enough to wash my hands and find my way out of the teacher's lounge. Kids were already screaming because suddenly everyone is afraid of the dark. I will give them some credits because ONLY TWO EMERGENCY LIGHTS WORKED...so there we are, all lining the halls first head down in a hot, crowded, mess. After a while we realized we would be here the rest of the day and everyone was allowed to sit down. The students' reactions were varied. Some were so mad at the teachers for actually making them sit... on the floor? In the hallway... during a tornado? So.......lame, erking, doing too much, petty, etc. etc. etc. Shortly the storm passed but the lights left most of Nashville for the rest of the day. Buses were insanely late so started the mad dash to reach some sort of guardian to come and pick up the little munchins. By hour 2 the halls resembled a free for all and my actions of attempting to keep kids seated reached apathy pretty quickly. I saw so many of the same students "going to find their phone" roaming the dark halls. To quote the greatest movie from my generation Clueless (duh) "that is a law suit waiting to happen". After the crazy I got home late and thought I must have dreamed such an insane day.One week later.
I have giggly bits. I want to get rid of them. I am getting my gym on and once again the skies darken and those annoying sirens go off. Honestly I think they cry wolf so often I don't listen to them. I admit it, I heard t
hem...but TOTALLY ignored them. Ugh, hello? I've only been on here for 32 minutes, I need a good 15 more, check again later. The employees "know it alls" at the gym had to be so Lisa Patton/Jo Jo Circus clown/ goody goody about the entire weather situation. First they made a loud announcement "gym patrons, the weather sirens are going off, please evacuate to the gym locker rooms". Evacuate? Seriously? It's rain. Having my headphones in I thought I was golden. "Oh, me? I'm listening to Mother Teresea reading Bible verses while holding kittens, must be up too loudly". I looked around and some other gym patrons were also holding their guns "unable to hear" too so I thought I was good. The annoying announcement came on again and finally a mean, probably retired military man who now
works at the gym came out and told us personally how we probably were unable to hear due our music (Bible verses!!!) but we were being evacuated. (Some how we all missed the mass exodus of people evacuating...aka slackers) Again, since I am a teacher I really don't have to follow rules so I try to sneak into the stretching room so I can at least do some abs, etc but my plans are again foiled by some woman who just likes being able to tell me what to do. Ugh. So once again, a week later I'm crammed like sardines with...KIDS. Not at work, how is this even fair? I'm in the bathroom with kids fresh out of the water from a swim lesson and an entire team of really cute SAHMs (stay at home Mom, thanks Sarah) playing tennis sporting adorable outfits...oh but they were sweaty and stinky. After listening to everyone talk about how their day was harder while I stood silently and held the door, I considered climbing out of the window and making a run to my car. But alas, we were released from our sweaty prison and I bolted for my car, promising myself to do a little more cardio the next
workout.
hem...but TOTALLY ignored them. Ugh, hello? I've only been on here for 32 minutes, I need a good 15 more, check again later. The employees "know it alls" at the gym had to be so Lisa Patton/Jo Jo Circus clown/ goody goody about the entire weather situation. First they made a loud announcement "gym patrons, the weather sirens are going off, please evacuate to the gym locker rooms". Evacuate? Seriously? It's rain. Having my headphones in I thought I was golden. "Oh, me? I'm listening to Mother Teresea reading Bible verses while holding kittens, must be up too loudly". I looked around and some other gym patrons were also holding their guns "unable to hear" too so I thought I was good. The annoying announcement came on again and finally a mean, probably retired military man who now
works at the gym came out and told us personally how we probably were unable to hear due our music (Bible verses!!!) but we were being evacuated. (Some how we all missed the mass exodus of people evacuating...aka slackers) Again, since I am a teacher I really don't have to follow rules so I try to sneak into the stretching room so I can at least do some abs, etc but my plans are again foiled by some woman who just likes being able to tell me what to do. Ugh. So once again, a week later I'm crammed like sardines with...KIDS. Not at work, how is this even fair? I'm in the bathroom with kids fresh out of the water from a swim lesson and an entire team of really cute SAHMs (stay at home Mom, thanks Sarah) playing tennis sporting adorable outfits...oh but they were sweaty and stinky. After listening to everyone talk about how their day was harder while I stood silently and held the door, I considered climbing out of the window and making a run to my car. But alas, we were released from our sweaty prison and I bolted for my car, promising myself to do a little more cardio the next
workout. If it rains next Monday, please feel free to text me and find out what bar I will be at. If I'm going to have to hunker in a bathroom, I want some kind of bottle with me.
For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne.
2 comments:
LOL
Glad I can keep you up to date on all of the mom lingo! I like the bar plan...sounds much better than a sweaty locker room or crazy school.
Post a Comment