Roth ira, 401K, teacher ira, 403 (B)... who knew there were so many options, not Natalie-Corinne! Today was my first day of orientation at the new place of employment. I woke up before my alarm today excited to learn more about my school, the policies, and what I can plan for the next year. I arrived early at the Central Office and met other new teachers. I had seriously not been this excited about meeting people in quite some time. In the office I met two
other teachers who live in Oxford and we quickly created a carpool plan! Success! After a quick background check I was sure we were off to learn more about policies of the school and the district, however I was mistaken. In front of our small elementary sized desks I was given a massive stack of what is I'm sure a part of a rain forest. As I tore the packet apart looking for the answers of my millions of questions but I was quickly realized that this orientation was more about insurance and retirement than teaching. Soon men from competing financial companies arrived and told us how we were all going to die poor and with out medicine or life saving treatments unless we bought their coverage. So many choices and unfamiliar words. What is a roth IRA and how do others already know about it? My stress line in my forehead must have been raging because a sweet lady walked up to me and said, "this your first year baby?" in a way only an older southern lady can. I responded with
a stressed,"yes, can you help me?" and just like that she quickly came to my rescue, checking over every form. So many insurance plans and options to choose from made my orientation longer than the other teachers. After the nice southern lady and I were done I was off to meet with one of the many financial planners. Once again I was swamped with words I did not understand. After several confused moments I said, "I am very overwhelmed and would like to talk to my dad" oh big mistake Natalie. As soon as I said this we were back to 1950 and I was suddenly a piece of non-thinking property. The consultant responded, "okay hon, you just talk to your dad and have him call me and we'll figure something out for you". Wow. I wanted to inform him of all the hard work I committed to receiving my masters degree, of how I had been independent forever and how I had plans to take over the world. But instead with look of disappointment and frustration I just looked at the man and gave him the raised eyebrow, I'm judging you look and went on my way. I have hope that I will learn more about this new world of retirement options, we shall see.In other news I was so fortunate to enjoy a much needed girls night out last
night with some of the best girls Oxford has to offer. Ms. Tiffany Gammel, Mrs. Chelsea Gregg and Ms. Danielle Ferrer and myself dined at Two Stix and enjoyed great conversation and sushi. I had not seen Ms. Ferrer since her sudden decision to take a middle school choral position at Tupelo Middle so it was really enjoyable being able to talk about our upcoming first year of teaching. We both start in the beginning of August and are excited and nervous about what lies ahead. There are so many people starting new teaching careers, I think there should be a support group that meets weekly in a restaurant or other social place. Just a thought.Upcoming Events:
Move Countdown: 10 days until the move... who wants to help? Come on friends, help your favorite blogger out! Until then, I will be working a lot and trying to enjoy the last wonderful days of summer and I hope you can do the same! Until next time, this has been Natalie-Corinne.
No comments:
Post a Comment