Monday, October 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Ben

Yesterday Ben turned twenty flipping years old. Can you believe it? I really cannot get over that my little brother is 20. I remember those twenty years ago when I was in kindergarten being so excited that I would finally have a little sibling that would play with me. My neighbors the Pearsons had four girls and were always playing dress up and tea party and I was jealous at their luck always having friends around. I remember telling my mom of all the plans I made for Ben and I to do together and she trying to tell me that he would not be able to play dress up when he arrived. In the nicest voice she said, "he will be a little baby and will not be able to play like the Pearsons" but I refused to listen. What did she know anyway? The Pearsons had a baby (she was actually 2 or so) and they played with her. She seemed little so it would be fine. October 20th finally came around and I was wearing my favorite outfit, a plaid green skirt with a cream top and a hair bow (of course). I went to the hospital and waited for at least 35 hours (so it seemed) with Mamaw. She did her best to entertain me but I was pretty out of control with excitement. My dad kept coming out into the waiting room to check on me in scrubs and a mask. I remember thinking how cool my family was. My mom was having a new baby who would do everything I wanted AND my dad was apparently a doctor on the side. After annoying Mamaw to death Ben finally arrived. I remember just dying to see him and Uncle Ray took me to the viewing window to see him. I was so excited and kept knocking on the window to kindly remind the nurse to show him to me...I'm sure it was cute and not extremely annoying. Ray literally had to hold me back as I squirmed to see my new brother. After another 39 hours the nurse cleaned Ben up and pulled back the window to finally show us my new baby brother/new best friend. As much as I hate to admit it, I was kind of weirded out. Ben's head looked differently than I thought it would and I did not expect him to be so little, fussy, and messy. I remember trying to look excited but I was more confused than anything, "he is even smaller than my baby (doll of course)". After seeing Ben we went back into the hospital room to see my tired momma. I had at least 1000 questions for her and she tried to entertain them the best she could. Finally I asked the most important question of all, "why does his head look like candy corn?"hahahaha. I do not even remember her response but she must have been convincing because I was really excited for them to come home after talking to her. By the next day I had forgotten all about the tea party plans and was excited about being a new big sister and helping my mom with everything.. yes everything. Obviously I knew how to do it all so she should let me. ha, well she actually did let me do a lot and I am glad because everyone knows that my brother Ben is alright in my book :)

Well Happy Birthday Ben, and I need to get back to work, I hope everyone has a wonderful day and for Natalie's News this has been Natalie-Corinne.

5 comments:

michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shari Bac said...

This is maybe the best/sweetest birthday thingie I've ever read. Without even talking to her, I KNOW your mom was blubbering the whole time she was reading this and quite possibly, your Uncle Ray too. My regret is that I wasn't there in the hospital to be there for the exact arrival of little Ben, even though I came pretty soon after.

Natalie Corinne said...

thanks:) it was pretty easy to write about such a great brother!!!

Ray said...

though you weren't able to dress him up, which either of us has trouble doing even today, you have been able to advise him, some may call it agressively direct, his every move which has contributed to him being a decent, but extremely BIG GOOBER. You've out done your self as a big sister. I just wish your singing ability could have rub off at least a little because we never could train him for any of the male leads in sound of music

michelle said...

Natty,
Thanks for helping me remember in the sweetest and best way the day that is "tied" with 3/3/83 as the best day in my life! You have always been the greatest influence on your brother and one of the best reasons why he is such a great person! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!
Mom