Thursday, July 08, 2010

Summer anthem 2010

Oh to be the summer anthem, every pop stars strives their entire 4 year career to earn this prestigious award...No matter your level of music snobbery, everyone and I mean everyone (you do it, don't lie) jams out to the summer anthem in their car/ipod at the gym/house when nobody is home. This year there really is no clear cut winner...which really is the best situation for the listeners. Let's get some Robert's rules up in the blogesphere and pro/con the best summer anthem.

1. Katy Perry's California Girls: Pro. Anything references California is going to be an instant hit. All the sudden I'm imagining the Hills, Laguna Beach, The OC, Real Housewives, and countless other shows where every girl is HOT, beaches are everywhere and apparently nobody really has to work because according to the shows everyone just looks at each other for awkwardly long periods of times while sipping their Starbucks. I could dig it. The song California Girls is so fun, upbeat, and easy to pick up w/ the constant ,'Uh ohs". Snoop Dogg also makes a lovely appearance and really gives the song some street cred. Grade: A. Good job Ms. Perry...I guess kissing girls did well for you.
2. Ke$ha: Your love is my drug: Pro. Ke$ha has totally exploded and totally proved that having good hygiene is completely optional when becoming a pop sensation. Whatever the look, her debut album is everywhere and Your Love is My Drug is a also a great contender for the summer anthem. Simple lyrics, fun beat, awesome dance when nobody is looking potential, the song really has everything one needs for the perfect summer anthem.

3. Lady Gaga: Alejandro: Pro. I love, love, love the lady Gaga. She is the newer generation's Cher. Her costumes, attitude, crazy interviews, gender ambiguity, all leads to the perfect entertainer. She kind of reminds me of Amy Winehouse with the crazy antics yet she is not fallen down the drug tubes just yet so still able to give witty interviews.
4. Jay-Z featuring Mr. Hudson: "Young Forever" I love Jay-Z. Mr. Hudson provides a repetitive chorus (that sounds a whole lot like Sting) that one cannot help to sing along with. Usually the girls dominate the summer jam but this duet really competes with the ladies. The only con I have with it is that although I claim all kinds of street cred, I can't understand all the words and know I cannot sing along with all the words.

5. Train: Hey Soul Sister: Pro. Everyone loves this song. Adults, kids, Moms, Dads, lots and lots and lots of commercials...yes that can also be the con. It has totally been overplayed and unfortunately it is all over every radio station, commercial, etc. Although it is an awesome song anything played every five minutes gets a little annoying. I do love the use of the ukulele.

Lots and lots more but I'll leave the rest for others to dissect. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thursday. For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne.

2 comments:

RBert said...

soooo many songs in my head now. i hate when i get confused if it's katie perry or KE$HA...both are growing on me.

KTP is in the lead though, but the party don't start til I walk in.

Have you watched the wedding yet?

Natalie Corinne said...

No, but I will today b/c I will not settle to watch it when I'm not 100% committed. Ps. I like how we talk using the comment section.