Monday, December 19, 2011

Ugly Christmas

Christmas can be one of the best times of the entire year. Tons of reasons to see friends and family, eat too much, wear sequins, receive gifts, and the list goes on and on.
Another one of my favorite parts of Christmas is the MUSIC.
From an early age my cousins and I would put on pageants under the direction of our Uncle Ray. 
Look at the older cousin's coordinated sequined hats... we obviously took this dedication to the Christmas pageant very seriously while Carly kicks back over by the couch all cool like.  
Here's another more techy version of the pageant. We have a legit microphone and Carly is getting those bells on jingle bells. This may or may not (it totally was) have been the year when I got mad at her for singing during MY solo of "Silent Night". (the nerve!) I got so upset I believe Ray coaxed her into apologizing to me and I came out and sang it for the adoring crowds again all by myself. Even then I can remember knowing Carly shouldn't have been apologizing and I was embarrassed that I was acting so badly but the need to sing in that plastic microphone was above all else. Sorry Carly.

Can we also discuss the sweatshirts? Why was puff paint ever okay?

Anyway as much as I love the music, pageants, tacky sweater parties, etc. there is also a bad side of all of this beauty.
What you ask?
Really. Really. awful Christmas music. Like really, really bad. And for some reason those bad songs are popular and played everywhere.
So brace yourself this is going to be a linked to youtube blog post.
5. Wham's "Last Christmas"
I think this might be one of the worst. Wham's "Last Christmas" is so annoying and cheesy. Although I love that everyone in the video looks like they are in a JC Penny advert, this song gets on my nerves so much and I have no idea how it ever became popular. Don't get me wrong, I love a good cheese fest (hello, Journey) but this song doesn't even provide an opportunity for a fist pump.

4. Justin Beiber "Mistletoe"
I feel a little (egh, like more like 1/2 an ounce) badly about this one because it was filmed on the square in Franklin and I love the square but even with all of it's southern charm, the Beibs can't be saved in this one. "Shawty" is so unbelievable coming from his mouth and I can't think of anything cheesier than getting a card from your boyfriend that is actually signed with his first and last name..

3. Wonderful Christmas Time
Okay, I'll admit I actually (shamefully) like hearing this song about once every other year. It comes on in the mall or somewhere and I jam out for about 30 seconds. But then I come back to reality and realize that Yoko had already done her damage and this is one awful song. The synth in the background paired with the constant repetition of bad vocals makes this not a wonderful Christmas time.

 
2. Christmas through your Eyes. Usually I like myself some Latin flare but this is a whiny mess. We get that you want to see Christmas as a child... we get it. So get a job at the mall as Santa and stop singing this hot mess of a "song".

1. And the one worst (well one of the worst) Christmas songs ever is...
Christmas Swag

 
I realize this is supposed to be bad, it's a joke... but it really is bad. The first time I saw it I thought it was funny-ish but now I realize that so many people are out there living only in order to become youtube sensations. I mean if it happened to me it would totally be legit but when it's someone else it is sad.

Merry Christmas!

For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne.

1 comment:

RBert said...

i love this!!!