"This is heavy, I don't see how you're here" is what Jenna said to me when we met up at the Relay for Life event. Taylor and she came at the most somber moment of the entire night. All the luminaries were lit and they turn off all the lights and participants walk a lap in silence to remember or honor loved ones touched with cancer. A man reads an incredibly sad poem and her words linger in my head. Of course she meant this subject, this night, and her knowing much too well how it feels to watch your hero of a mother fight cancer, but it immediately made me think of my Dad. His nickname in high school was Heavy and my Mom has called my Dad that for my entire life. As we were waiting for the lights to come back on I pictured my Dad sitting loyally with my Mom through the night in the hospital in the very uncomfortable recliner at St. Thomas.
Recently my Mom and I talked about marriage and relationships and she said, "true love is when your Dad puts lotion on my feet because I'm too sick or tired and never complains". I can think of no better couple to have as role models for a marriage and just how to live a successful life. I love you Mom and Dad and am so proud of your 31 years together. Your dedication and love for each other is inspiring. In November, Mom and Dad renewed their vows at our house and Mom said to Dad, "whenever anyone asks me the secret to a successful marriage, I just tell them I married the finest person I know" and Dad spoke of his immediate connection to her the first time he saw her when she was playing basketball in middle school. They were truly meant to be and even now when life is literally pouring everything it can at them, their bond is strong and they are so dedicated to each other. I think they are both the finest people I know.
Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad.
Nat

1 comment:
This is precious. I have never in my life seen a couple more devoted to each other. When your dad would leave the hospital room, he would kiss her and then kiss her again when he returned, and the way they looked at each other....well, I've just never seen anything else like it. If you look up "true love" in the dictionary, their picture is there.
Post a Comment