Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mommy lessons II

1. If you have a new outfit, your baby will spit up on it. Austin rarely spits up but if I have a new outfit on, he definitely will. I even think about it when I'm wearing something new and then think, oh he never spits up and then bam...done. 

2. If you are having people over, the baby will be harder to put down. I used to think people made excuses for their kids but omg it is so true. My friend said they can sense your energy changing. Whatever the case, most nights I can literally just put him in the bed and when we have people over all the sudden he wants to stay up, see everyone, and then demand to be rocked to sleep. 

3. If you are going somewhere fancy, dress your baby in his finest clothes, he will somehow ruin that outfit. This Sunday we planned to meet at Boxwood Bistro for Mother's Day brunch. I had Austin dressed in an adorable outfit and we even made it on time! We strolled in at 11:29 when we are supposed to be there at 11:30. I was totally feeling like superwoman when it happened. He had the most epic dirty diaper... ever. He messed up his entire outfit, including these adorable croshay shoes when his quick little legs kicked into the...mess. All I had in his diaper bag was a little WalMart onesie that I keep in there for emergencies. So while every other child was dressed completely in their Sunday's best (Mother's Day best no less) my child was sporting a little cheap onesie that was almost too small sitting front and center in the first table as you enter this lovely restaurant. 

4. However much time you allow yourself to be somewhere, it will take 10 more minutes.

5. Witching. Hours. Do. Exist. Austin has actually gotten a lot better but his hardest time of the day is for sure 6-8PM. The other day P was able to come home early and Austin was being his sweet little happy self and P was so amazed. He kept saying, "he's so happy and fun today" and finally I said, "he's always like this" and then it hit me P doesn't get home until 6 so he doesn't get the fun little boy I get every afternoon.

6. "You look so good for just having a baby" will be said like 1,000 times, which is super nice don't get me wrong. But I often think not everyone knows I just had a baby so what then? Just kind of frumpy for my age?

7. Sleep outweighs just about every other "important" aspect of life. I have a stack of laundry in our room just waiting to be folded but every night this week we have been busy up until bed time and there is nothing that will keep me from my splendor of sleep. I used to not be able to rest with messes but now I barely think about it. I'm not so sure this is a good development but it is what it is.

8. "Last minute" plans mean the day before. I used to think this was like an hour before an event but recently friends asked us to go to dinner like at 9:00 AM on Saturday and I instantly thought oh wow, this is so last minute, I hope I can get someone. Then I laughed at myself because I used to get SO annoyed with people who had to be so pre booked but now I get it.

9. DVR becomes the only way you stay connected to the outside world.

10. You love everything about it. Not every minute but every part, even the hard are worth every free day I ever had. I just wish I could go tell skinny, fun, carefree Natalie to live it up just a little bit more.

Let that be the most powerful lesson. Those sans kids? Have a few more workouts, days at the beach, drinks, late nights, coffees on the couch uninterrupted, hours watching reality television because those leisurely days will be over and you'll weirdly be okay with it.


For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

yep. all of the above. multiply that times two when you've got two kids and... yep. all that and then some.