Wednesday, May 20, 2009

oath

Repeat after me: I Natalie do solemnly swear to never and I repeat never buy another celebrity magazine ever, ever again. Amen. Today I lost control and bought People and last week I bought US weekly. What is wrong with me? It's not like I need reminding that one we're in a recession and two I seriously do not even read when I buy this rag mags. I flip carelessly with out reading and look at the pictures with less brain function than a four year old. Sadly, I've already seen these pictures on television or even more appalling while reading CNN.com everyday. They are so sneaky though, those blasted headlines. John and Kate plus 8 did it for me this time. This morning my friend and carpool companion Jessica and I stopped because she needed something from Piggly Wiggly and I walked several times by the magazines and showed adult restraint. Come on Natalie, you don't really NEED this magazine just walk away, and then like a child I thought, "oh what's a couple of bucks" it ended up being 4+ dollars and I was finished in less than five minutes. Such a waste. If Dave Ramsey (crazy man pictured right) was my friend (bwahaha) he would be so disappointed. But I oddly really wanted to see what Kate from John and Kate had to say about the rocky marriage. Why? A great question a therapist probably should answer. I don't even know these people and rarely watch their show. I am a tad bit jealous of how adorable their children are but then I realize I don't even want one baby and 8 would for sure send me to padded walls. Although on the show she is ummm a bit over the top at times, bless her heart (random southern fact.. you can say ANYTHING and I mean anything mean or gossipy about someone as long as you end it with one of the following phrases, "bless her heart" or "God love her", then all is forgiven. The comment sounds sweet but it is really mean, it's one of the longest running southern secrets. For example, look at the girls gossiping below the one talking is saying,"Good Lord she's gotten fatter than a hog, God love her" put a little sweet southern (NOT REDNECK!!) drawl in there and you're golden) but she does have all those children and it is disappointing when any one's marriage or relationship is on the rocks. So, the cover of her sitting sadly all alone with the even more dramatic headline of "We might split up" was too hard for me to avoid and I took the bait and bought the rag. But no more!! As blogger as my witness I was save my pennies and no longer buy such ridiculous reading materials and spend it on more adult items such as curtains that I still do not own. (Yeah the blanket that the boyfriend put up as a joke is still hanging in there...I now tell visitors that it's a statement on living the green life and reusing what one already has but that's total bull, I just can't find curtains I like).

Well that's all for now, I hope everyone has a wonderful hump day! Thanks for reading, for Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne.

2 comments:

Ray said...

Dearest niece. You set such admirable goals. But part of staying young and hip through adulthood is making sure you are always on top of the latest pop culture (part of my secret therapy on staying 29 for the 16th time)... and sadly that sometimes means 'education' from such celebrity rags. The secret to my pop culture urges and spend thrifty ways is to read the damn rag at the store. It only takes a few minutes to absorb the key nuggets of pop culture gold. I place it in my cart where passer-by's won't notice my intentions and say, "poor thing must not have a life reading that smut, bless his little heart".
Love ya,
Uncle Ray

Shari Bac said...

I have the best way yet to keep current on all the celebrity smut! Go to Walmart for your groceries, get in the longest line possible, then grab one to read, all the while complaining to the people around you about the slow line. Or even better, get a smutty mag and tuck it inside "O" so people think you are "cultured" and bettering yourself. :P