Tuesday, May 07, 2013

local election day

Today were local elections in Brentwood. I have such fond memories of voting with my Mom and love to think about how seriously she took this privilege. Today I really wanted to take Austin to vote too so he will hopefully have sweet memories of voting like I do with my Mom. I went to pick him up from Sharon's house and it was right about when he needed to go down for a nap. He was starting to get really fussy and Sharon kept offering to keep him. I didn't want to say "I want to take him with me because that's what my Mom did" because out loud that sounds ridiculous. He is 3 months old. Obviously he will have no memory of this and if he missed this one election, no one would be the wiser. Deep down, this was really for me. A weird way to still feel close to my Mom. Austin continued to kind of cry off and on and I had almost given up and sweet Sharon offered again. I finally just said out loud... I want to take him because that's what our Mom did with us... and poof like magic he was quiet. I know this sounds bogus but it was like Mom just swooped down and helped him (and me). We went and voted (which took less than 2 minutes because there were a whopping 3 voters there!) and he slept the entire time. I had huge plans of getting a picture with him while voting but I didn't because I never. ever. ever. wake up him out of a nap. Long story there but once was enough for this momma. Anyway, after voting we went on a little walk and then I came home and snapped some of these. I have a really cute patriotic outfit that I bought for the 4th that I almost busted out but held some restraint since this wasn't a real holiday. Or the real story is that it is a 6 month outfit and didn't fit. 

I know I'm a bias Mom but I do love all this child's expressions! 




Sweet cousin Carly made this beautiful baby blanket! 



Agh, Mom voted for a republican!
 DISCLAIMER: I researched all the candidates and voted based on their educational platform... i.e. who was against charter schools and rezoning... and rest assured I'm not even sure they were repubs but they were pretty Brentwood Baptist-y on their bio pages so I'm gonna go with a yes. I've always claimed to be someone who would "reach across the isle" and vote for anyone as long as I liked their platform and after 12 years of voting, I finally proved it. I'm still me though.. pretty certain I will not be tuning into Rush Limbaugh talk radio anytime soon.

Happy election day! For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie Corinne. 



6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am completely ashamed that I didn't vote. I had intended to and I'm sure my dad is yelling at me right now!! He used to drive me from mboro to Brentwood to vote in every election when I was in college.

RBert said...

I love you. I loved the disclaimer.

Natalie Corinne said...

Rebecca, I would vote for you!

Shari Bac said...

I love this blog. The expression on Austin's face in the first pic makes me SOOOOOO happy. He gets cuter every day, if that is possible! :D

Ray said...

God Bless America! :P

Kelly said...

I bet our voting here in Greensboro has already happened as well. Damn, I always try to vote.

Meanwhile, Austin is perfect! ;-) I can't wait to meet him!