Thursday, July 11, 2013

Lessons learned

Yesterday I went to babies r us to buy a baby pool. I also ended up buying shoes in the shape of pumpkins for Halloween, socks and this awesome "vintage" toy phone. 
Many thanks to the fine folks at Toy R Us. Nothing makes you feel just old like finding a beloved toy from your youth in the "vintage" section. They are brilliant though. Who isn't going to buy this? This old toy tugs at your heartstrings for your own youth and even the most unhipster Moms will feel a bit more superior knowing their child will know what a rotary phone is. 

 Anyway, while there I overheard this adorable little blonde girl ask her mother no less than 1,000 times for some toy. She was saying "please" and the Mom gave a firm no and then ignored her. Good for you, Mom. All the sudden it hit me. I keep looking at Austin "giving a lot of eye contact" (from the brain book) and talking to him constantly "to promote verbalization and an extensive vocabulary" (paraphrased from brain book) and what will all of this vocabulary and early learning lead to? My child begging for stuff at Babies R Us. Using those manners to beg for some toy? Is all the effort to make  my son verbal really worth it? Yeah, that is a terrible Mother confession, I'm sure the first of many. 

Then I told myself an awesome lie. After Austin is old enough to know what toys are I will never, ever, ever bring him here. He must not know of this God forsaken land of parent doom. When I was young I thought that place was so awesome. Now I can't get over how dirty it is and how every adult, especially the ones working there look like they would be happy if an asteroid hit at that exact moment.  

If I am ever actually waiting to get inside some place of grime to spend my money, someone please hit me over the head with a wooden board. Grab my bug out bag and bring me to some sort of "rehabilitation" clinic and tell everyone I'm suffering from "dehydration and exhaustion" because I have LOST it. 

I don't see a remedy for this solution. There are other, hip toy stores where all the toys are made of organic, recycled, and blessed wood but those places are so pretentious and hipster I can't stomach those either. 

What's a Mom to do? 

For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne. 

3 comments:

sarah said...

Amazon.

Unknown said...

Yeah that's what the internet is for. I don't think I ever went inside a toy store when I was wee. At best, my mom would take me inside target. I think it was beause if she bought me something she would have to buy things for my siblings too and that gets pricey!

Natalie Corinne said...

Yeah, true. Right now I don't even know what to search for but I'm sure I will soon enough :)