dents of varying ages ,professional students are seriously eccentric and live life according to their own set of rules. What's the problem? Well, there really isn't a problem if one continues to live in the professional student atmosphere for the rest of one's life but if you step outside the bubble of academia and enter the real world one might discover some habits that are not most "adult friendly". During my first year of being a real adult I've noticed that other real adult do not share some of my habits and currently I'm wondering if these traits are what make me "unique" or some bad habits that I should ditch on my voyage to adulthood.For example...
1. When is one too old to eat only item or even worse, one food item for dinner? When should I begin to look down on my ha
bit of eating cereal, half a can of re-fried beans, frozen yogurt, laffy taffys or tootsie rolls for dinner? I mean, I never feel like cooking but I am beginning to hear people swapping recipes, describing successful dinners, and table scape ideas and I believe I'm missing the boat on some adult right of passage. Should there really be something green in every meal? My college ways of eating seem so 2006 and I should probably get on with the rest of my age demographic...or then again I could start lying about my age now to delay any future aging. Done.
bit of eating cereal, half a can of re-fried beans, frozen yogurt, laffy taffys or tootsie rolls for dinner? I mean, I never feel like cooking but I am beginning to hear people swapping recipes, describing successful dinners, and table scape ideas and I believe I'm missing the boat on some adult right of passage. Should there really be something green in every meal? My college ways of eating seem so 2006 and I should probably get on with the rest of my age demographic...or then again I could start lying about my age now to delay any future aging. Done.
2. When should one get rid of early twenties household decorations? Martini and margarita glasses, pink fuzzy sorority picture frames, bright plastic glasses from Target, and countless Eiffel towers are fabulous for the young twenty somethings first apartment, but when should the mature mid-twenty year old rid themselves of these cute yet cheap purchases? As I visit my adult friend's houses I see actual homes filled with household decorations from fancy places such as pottery barn or williams and sonoma. These items scream that one has not had children and t
herefore have disposable income to spend on expensive remade shabby chic antiques. I yet to own such items and feel like I have not been admitted to the adults only club (not the dirty kind).
herefore have disposable income to spend on expensive remade shabby chic antiques. I yet to own such items and feel like I have not been admitted to the adults only club (not the dirty kind). 3. Do I really have to have a garden? When I was in middle school I locked myself out of the house and knowing I would get in trouble for being irresponsible, I thought I would pull weeds so my mom would be too distracted by the gracious acts of her perfect daughter to notice that she forgot her key for the 4,000th time. But did I pull weeds? No, I pulled beautiful lilies I think, lots of them. If there really are colors for thumbs in the garden I imagine mine is the color of death and not remotely any shade of green.
4. When should one stop cussing? I think is probably when one decides to have kids but honestly since I started teaching I've cussed more than I ever have before in my life. Some profanity used to make my conscience hurt but now the s-word is just like saying the words "cup" or "li
ght". Nothing...nadda. Is this very adult like?
ght". Nothing...nadda. Is this very adult like? 5. Is it okay to still listen to pop music? As a "serious" musician this is a major fault. I blame my love of pop music on my uncle Ray and his major influence as a young child. We would jam out to Madonna, Cher, Janet, Whitney, all the requirements for a well-rounded pop education. I studied Mozart, Puccini, Brahms, etc for so long and so many of my friends ride around jamming out to these old timers in their cars. Don't get me wrong, I love so opera but you better believe when I'm in my car alone I'm blasting so totally inappropriate pop music that thrives on using incorrect grammar.
Maybe I'm on the short bus to adulthood or maybe I've found the fountain of youth, who knows. If anyone wants to write a book about the correct steps, I would probably read it. Well read the first couple of chapters but if it wasn't funny I would totally donate it to the books for inmates at St. Peter's. Not playing.
Well I hope everyone has a wonderful adult-like day. Whatever that means. For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne.
5 comments:
You're a riot! My advice:
1. Have a green M&M with every meal
2. Think of those items as 'retro chic'
3. Grow herbs in your house with a Homer Simpson Chia Herb Kit!
4. Shit I don't know!
5. Strike a pose!
Dammit, girl, I ain't never gonna quit cussin!
2. As far as the lack of Pottery Barn home decor - my thought have been I could either buy that stuff or use the money to take a trip somewhere fabulous..maybe NYC??
girl when you get back from India it is on :) A hot trip is better than a china pattern for sure
Shari's Advice:
1. Cooking is for sissies. Let your husband, kids, friends, do it. A hunk of angel food cake for supper with a glass of milk works for me. Table scapes? PULEEZE! I don't even know what the top of my table looks like!
2. Your friends who have the smantzy-pantzy doo-dollies now will be the same ones selling all that shit in a yard sale in 20 years because they're tired of dusting all of it.
3. Garden? That's why grocery stores have a produce section....and I'm just gonna say it--as soon as there's another Republican back in Washington, all this green stuff will be forgotten (very, very sadly I might add).
4. Stop cussing? Why would you want to!! There is nothing like a good F-bomb to express yourself. An trust me, kids don't make you stop cussing.... exactly the opposite.
5. The only person I know who might be truly distraught at knowing you love pop music is your dad. He has to be asking himself where he went wrong.... LMAO!
6. Look at your aunts and uncles...(me and Ray in particular) and see how NOT to turn into a stereotypical "adult"!!!
Praise God for that!
Post a Comment