me watch just anything, therefore I watched Nick at Nite constantly and thought show like I love Lucy, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Dick Van Dyke, Identical Cousins, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Doby Gillis, The Patty Duke Show, etc. were totally cool and new. Although a lot of those shows were in black and white and the parents dressed very differently than mine, it never really bothered me and I never seemed to notice (that's another story) except for the time on Identical Cousins when the girls kept arguing about a blue shirt which was obviously grey (duh). Other than that I thought these 20 year+ old shows were totally relevant and worth my television time. Why this ramble? I guess to explain the reason that the Jefferson's Moving on up theme song was the exact first thing that popped into my head this morning when I walked into my new classroom. Holy Lord. I am basically Elton John now with this white piano. If I was not with my new principal, I would have burst out into song and dance but since he's known me a minute, I stifled the inner geek and went with, "Holy God, look at that piano". Given a second chance, I would have settled on something a tad less dramatic but, it just popped out. He laughed very hard and said, "I know". At that moment I wanted to ask, "wait, was that an I know as in you love it like I love it and envision yourself in guilty daydreams about singing on top of it with a killer body in 1940s style, gold, ball gown to adoring crowds of thousands or is it "I know" because you think it's a little over the top?" but once again I used my better judgement and just smiled. I worked more in the room and all the sudden got very overwhelmed. This is the first job I'
ve had where I have...stuff. Lots of it in fact. Music, proper boxes to put music in, risers, folders, real choir chairs, and the list goes on and on. Coming from one extreme to another, I looked around, and didn't know where to start. Usually I'm overwhelmed because I'm trying to make something out of nothing but now it is the exact opposite. Plus they were testing the alarms over. and over. (hey... after the 9th try, THEY STILL WORK!) and after too long of toughing it out, I turned to the only thing I knew. Carbs. Since I was back in my old high school, I kept it old school and went to a bagel place I used to frequent back in the day and swore off during the carb epidemic of 2005. After some carb found confidence (perhaps the saddest thing I've ever written), I began making lists, calling people, coming up with some programs for the fall and not feeling so insane and lost. This is such a different type of challenge than I've ever had and I could not be any more excited (and nervous) to get things settled and organized! I know this is going to be so much work but I'm still looking forward to it! And I mean, hey...white, grand piano? Hello Heaven!
For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne.
3 comments:
the piano is gorg!
Hey girl, you've paid your dues! You deserve it!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Post a Comment