One o
f the amazing perks of being a teacher is getting the summers (unpaid!) off! For some reason, I have never really enjoyed the summer off. The previous summers I've been stressed about finding a new job, or finding somewhere to live, planning a wedding, etc, etc. This summer? Ummm...I've not only enjoyed this summer, I've thrived! Gone on two amazing vacations, met with friends for lunch, and worked out with a new set of friends the stay- at- home Moms and retirees. The stay-at-home Moms are generally hot, have rocking workout clothes, but seem distracted...perhaps it's the entire kid thing. When a class starts late, the SAHMs seem stressed and have to leave before the stretching is over. These Moms sprint up to the kids zone and begin answering questions about lunch, staying at the pool, finishing summer school work, play dates, soccer, etc. The only break these mothers seem to get is a
n intense 600 calorie burning spin class. The other regulars, the retirees...entirely different story. Gone are the stressful days of being responsible for the life of a child. Crazy days are replaced with glory days filled with laughter and sharing pictures of beautiful grand kids that are taught all their wonderful traits from their wise grandparents but undesirable habits obviously come from the media, some other worthless family member, or something else that the retiree is obviously not responsible for. I mean I realize most of t
hese people have worked for a living and are enjoying the fruits of their labor, planning, and some very wise investing, but with all that careful planning for expenses, vacations, and the unknown did they also plan their future retiree status? Wait, you might ask, what status? Ummm...they are the popular kids, with out a doubt. They leisurely stroll into the gym, talk to all the other cool kids (other retirees), drink the complimentary coffee or tea, begin class not caring whether it begins late or not and then after the class they meet other retirees coming to the next class. They might stay for another class or chat it up with yet another cup of coffee. I thought this was the extent of the retirees social circle, but boy was I wrong. During the carb craze of this week, I strolled into a bagel place and saw some of my new retiree friends, still in their gym attire. Apparently after the social gym hour, the cool kids migrate over to the bagel shop for some more coffee. Obviously these retirees still know the rules of being cool and popular and can stay to a diet like it's their job. Hardly any of my new friends a single carb and those who did, shared a skinny bagel. These retired men and women socialize all day long while staying on their heart healthy diet. As I scarfed down a bagel like I was mad at it, these social butterflies caught up on stories of vacations, grand kids, town gossip, and more. As I pretended to be busy with other stuff, all I could do was listen (
spy) on their conversations. After 20 minutes of roaring laughter paired with plans for their future vacations I found myself...jealous. Yes, I'll say it. Jealous of the elderly. These folks are super active (like really, kicking my butt in spinning, it is embarrassing) socialize all day, not once complained of a broken hip, or any health condition for that matter, and generally seem blissful. I know nobody is perfect or happy all the time but their lifestyle didn't seem to shabby. Where does this leave us? Uncool. Unpopular. Always looking in on another crowd that seems to have it hall. Alas! I guess life will always be one really big high school...but with less cases of mono and braces and more wrinkles and grey hairs. Hot.
f the amazing perks of being a teacher is getting the summers (unpaid!) off! For some reason, I have never really enjoyed the summer off. The previous summers I've been stressed about finding a new job, or finding somewhere to live, planning a wedding, etc, etc. This summer? Ummm...I've not only enjoyed this summer, I've thrived! Gone on two amazing vacations, met with friends for lunch, and worked out with a new set of friends the stay- at- home Moms and retirees. The stay-at-home Moms are generally hot, have rocking workout clothes, but seem distracted...perhaps it's the entire kid thing. When a class starts late, the SAHMs seem stressed and have to leave before the stretching is over. These Moms sprint up to the kids zone and begin answering questions about lunch, staying at the pool, finishing summer school work, play dates, soccer, etc. The only break these mothers seem to get is a
n intense 600 calorie burning spin class. The other regulars, the retirees...entirely different story. Gone are the stressful days of being responsible for the life of a child. Crazy days are replaced with glory days filled with laughter and sharing pictures of beautiful grand kids that are taught all their wonderful traits from their wise grandparents but undesirable habits obviously come from the media, some other worthless family member, or something else that the retiree is obviously not responsible for. I mean I realize most of t
hese people have worked for a living and are enjoying the fruits of their labor, planning, and some very wise investing, but with all that careful planning for expenses, vacations, and the unknown did they also plan their future retiree status? Wait, you might ask, what status? Ummm...they are the popular kids, with out a doubt. They leisurely stroll into the gym, talk to all the other cool kids (other retirees), drink the complimentary coffee or tea, begin class not caring whether it begins late or not and then after the class they meet other retirees coming to the next class. They might stay for another class or chat it up with yet another cup of coffee. I thought this was the extent of the retirees social circle, but boy was I wrong. During the carb craze of this week, I strolled into a bagel place and saw some of my new retiree friends, still in their gym attire. Apparently after the social gym hour, the cool kids migrate over to the bagel shop for some more coffee. Obviously these retirees still know the rules of being cool and popular and can stay to a diet like it's their job. Hardly any of my new friends a single carb and those who did, shared a skinny bagel. These retired men and women socialize all day long while staying on their heart healthy diet. As I scarfed down a bagel like I was mad at it, these social butterflies caught up on stories of vacations, grand kids, town gossip, and more. As I pretended to be busy with other stuff, all I could do was listen (
spy) on their conversations. After 20 minutes of roaring laughter paired with plans for their future vacations I found myself...jealous. Yes, I'll say it. Jealous of the elderly. These folks are super active (like really, kicking my butt in spinning, it is embarrassing) socialize all day, not once complained of a broken hip, or any health condition for that matter, and generally seem blissful. I know nobody is perfect or happy all the time but their lifestyle didn't seem to shabby. Where does this leave us? Uncool. Unpopular. Always looking in on another crowd that seems to have it hall. Alas! I guess life will always be one really big high school...but with less cases of mono and braces and more wrinkles and grey hairs. Hot. For Natalie's News this has been a quite nerdly, Natalie-Corinne.
No comments:
Post a Comment