Thursday, July 21, 2011

summer trends

So sometimes I think I'm trendy but mostly I feel 95. Maybe it's because we are without cable or because I work with the youth of America, I don't seem to know or mostly care for the newest fad. Don't believe me? Let's play an old school game, you can use your fingers or easily turn this into a drinking game, your choice and no judgements.
1. Never have I ever read any Harry Potter or seen the movies.
2. Never have I ever read any Twilight or seen the movies.
3. Never have I ever been to a pop concert in the last 10 years (sad!).
4. Never have I ever owned a pair of Toms shoes.
5. Never have I ever walked into an Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, or any other cool store.
6. Never have I ever owned RayBan sunglasses or any generics of that glamorous shape.
7. Never have I ever tried Zumba.
I could go on and on you get my point. So anyway, around May I see coworkers voluntarily laying on the dirty ground...even their face, while others took pictures and everyone seemed really happy about it. Later I saw the pictures all over facebook and finally was introduced to the summer trend of planking.
Silly me thought it was a yoga move for torture, err strengthening the core but ugh that is so 1999. This is the cool planking.
 Seriously!?!?!? Where are child protective services?!



I don't even know where to begin. Who thought of this? I mean I guess I can see it funny in a we are all really tired or messed up on some illegal substance kind of way, but really? Maybe the unemployment rate is finally getting to folks and this is their way of coping.
So like all trends that gets generic and lame so someone comes up with an equally ridiculous and fabulous trend, only this time the trend further screws with today's youth by making a noun a verb, I present owling.
 Ugh, looks a lot like a public bathroom. This dedication to owling is impressive and depressing.



One attempts to look like an owl in random places and take pictures of it. I mean kind of funny but can you really make an entire summer trend out of looking like an owl with out being a member of Chi Omega?

I guess these folks thought, no because they created yet another summer trend. Leisure Diving.



Honestly, these are funnier to me. I can see myself doing these with friends, if I wanted myself in a bathing suit ever recorded. ever. So probably not. There is an entire website dedicated to this and they even have merchandise...that people pay for! Que the rant about the waste of today's society on frivolous antics, paired with a back in my day story, then bring me my cane, afghan, pill box and finally turn the television to Nancy Grace and turn the volume and heat way up because I guess if I'm not into these trends I'm 100. But on the other hand maybe I am so cool, I'm above all these trends and saw the end before they even started. Obviously.

For Natalie's News, this has been, Natalie-Corinne.  

3 comments:

Jenna said...

I prefer leisure diving, even above owling. EVEN though I was a CHI OMEGA :) Next lake trip= Leisure diving competition

Ray said...

Planking is for Salmon! But my dear niece, you MUST catch up with the times. Me, your 'always 29' year old Uncle has completed every item on your list! And just this year I have seen Britney, Rihanna, Lady Gaga and Christina. You must catch up with the times or you might just lose your diva status!
Uncle Ray

Natalie Corinne said...

omg I will NEVER lose my diva status... it is in my blood!