Sunday, August 14, 2011

ode to my tv

Months ago I thought I was extremely intelligent and misjudged what I really do with my time. Somehow I was under the impression that I didn't watch a lot of television. Hello? I'm in a book club. I read blogs, work, starting new jobs, run, try to go to yoga, I don't even have time to watch tv, I totally don't need it and won't miss it.
Under my misguided advice we. cancelled. cable. We went to Europe, had a wonderful time, watched a lot of BBC but didn't miss cable even a little bit.
Then I came home. We both had pretty crazy jet lag. Like so thrown off that P washed the cars at 4AM and I cleaned the bathrooms.
After cleaning BOTH bathrooms and doing approximately 1,000 loads of laundry by 10 AM, all I wanted to do was submit to the couch and the television to go in and out of television consciousness. Then I realized how my life had been changed drastically forever.
We did not have cable. Or any television channels. Nada.
At first I made do. Since this whole scam was my idea, I watched reruns we downloaded of Modern Family, the Office, and Curb Your Enthusiasm. I watched a few episodes RHWONJ on Hulu but I was just so out of the loop. Finally I cried uncle. I miss cable, I crave it, I NEED it. I told P that I was so over it and needed cable yesterday. To add insult to injury P didn't even miss the glory of 400 channels. He was fine with out it. Ugh, no. Momma needs her times of lobotomy-esque television pleasure.
FINALLY yesterday the miracle occurred. The planets aligned, God smiled down and brought us the magic of cable. It's so beautiful and I promise to never quit you again cable.
For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne.

1 comment:

Ray said...

This is one of my favorite blog posts! As you may know, I went 1 year with out cable... but I did go to all the networks and watch the shows I liked online. When Robin moved in, I caved and reconnected... but refused to get a DVR at $15/month.... then I get the call at work from Robin.... "I need a DVR! I'm chained to the house because I can't miss my shows! I feel like a prisoner!"
Cable won out again... he ran to the store that afternoon to pick one up...