Thursday, August 04, 2011

Nat+facebook=forever

It's back to school time... do you like that little math problem/title? Today during my new teacher orientation we began talking about technology and how it is used in the classroom. This year my students will be encouraged to bring their ipads, phones, laptops, etc to classes. I think it could be extremely effective is some ways, in choir for example, there would be no more sheet music, it could all be on their ipads. (so green!) I have to admit if it were me, I would play solitaire, gchat, blog, and basically everything but use this new device for educational purposes. Then someone brought up facebook (dum dum dum). Some people thought you should create a teacher profile so you can share upcoming events with parents and students, some people thought you could create an organization website to do the same, some thought twitter was better and then some thought facebook was Satan and that we would all automatically begin to date students if we were on facebook. While this debate was raging, I began thinking back to my humble beginnings with facebook. I believe I joined circa 2005. I remember hearing about it in my sorority house and then asking my then boyfriend about it. He told me it was an honors network and that you had to be invited (should have known then...ugh) But then when I was back at the sorority house and a really...uhh....less than "honors" member said she joined facebook (then thefacebook, remember?) I knew this could not be true. So anyway, I joined. Became friends with high school friends, college friends, people I met out, wrote on walls that did NOT contain pictures. etc. Then it hit me. OMG. I have been on facebook since 2005? That's 6 years! Six years! Facebook and I have been together longer than my marriage, my current career, when I graduated from undergrad, we were together during my entire graduate program, we have been together longer than this current President has been in office, we were together when Pluto was still a planet, when phones were not smart, when I taught in Batesville, when I moved to Arkansas, when I left Arkansas (praise Him), when we moved back to Nashville, bought a house, and on and on and on. We have been together (creeper) for longer than any other relationship I've ever had. (perhaps the saddest statement ever written, and of course I'm not counting family and friends.. I mean relationships) ahhhh and they say it wouldn't last. Maybe one day I'll sing that sweet song that Adam Sandler sings to Drew Barrymore in The Wedding Singer.
Facebook+Natalie= together forever.


For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

OMG I remember those days... and your post is SOOOOOOOO true.

I even remember you hooking me up with your Facebook's twin brother (also named thefacebook) around 2005, too. Hmmmm.

I hope you have a blast at your new job! I can't wait for the random teacher texts!

Natalie Corinne said...

OMG Kelly... I forgot all about that.. good old days when profiles used to be open...memories.

Miss you all the time, are you able to go to the choir reunion? I LOVE that we are talking over the comment section of my blog.