![]() |
| The inspiration for our next Christmas card. |
The show doomsday preppers has caught on here in TN. This area contains the right amount of paranoia to really light a fire with the whole "we will save ourselves when the apocalypse comes with the right amount of beanie weenies" campaign. I hear people (some of whom I am related to) talk about having the necessary water, tools, food, bug out bags, etc. for when that fateful day finally arrives. I have to remind myself that this is insane and if the end does come (Mayans?) I don't believe having some canned goods is going to get us all too far. I have to believe this though because deep down I can easily get swept away in all the hysteria. Several years ago, my former roommate Ann Marie and I got a "little" (lot) obsessed with the bird flu scare and heard somewhere that in the worst case scenario, people would be quarantined in their houses for 3-6 months. We began stock piling food, water, books, and my favorite...soap and shampoo. We were not going to be dirty for 3-6 months. Eventually the bird flu did not kill off civilization and we lost interest in the hype. As I began packing 2 years later I was embarrassingly reminded of this crazy time by the bags and bags and bags of food underneath my bed.
Anyway, P has decided he wants a garden. He also has a bug out bag but swears this garden is not because he wants to be able to provide when the end comes but I have my doubts. He had big plans and deep down I thought they might sizzle but I was wrong.
The day began with P and help from his friend Christian. They went over to Noble Springs Dairy and got...goat manure. Ugh, it my backyard. I know. Maybe the apocalypse is coming. Luckily we were visited by Libby and Reese which made the poop invasion a little more tolerable.
The tiller that was borrowed from Noble Springs Dairy. It has very scary blades and I had visions of it growing wild with anger and taking off into some sort of horror movie, but rest assured nothing happened.
Almost done with the bed. As P was spreading around the "dirt" (we all know it's poop) he said, "if this all goes well we can eat of this for years" and that's when I knew for sure this was another plan is his "doomsday prep". Who cares though really. In all honestly he has been wanting to do this for years and even better...now I can act all pious because we grow our own vegetables and say things like "it is just so important to know where your produce is from because your body is your temple" and other annoying judgements because we are so green and hipster now.
Good Lord, I need to get off this computer and go to a thrift store to find some skinny jeans...ironically of course.
For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne.

No comments:
Post a Comment