So today, on my summer vacation I was getting some work done around the house and I have the tv on in the background for noise. I happen to catch this commercial. GROSS. It is seriously every negative stereotype about the south. Apparently people are still confused about what the south has and lacks so let's just create a quick break down to clear up any confusion.
1. We have plumbing. Yeah, and it's not like a special thing. I literally do not know anyone who doesn't, nor do I want to.
2. We also have shoes. Shocking? Yes, we have more than one pair. We buy shoes to do different activities with, and none of those activities include farming.
3. There are other vehicles besides trucks. Yes, there are trucks but there also sentras (whoop!) prius, sport cars, etc. You name it, we've got it.
4. Most towns/cities/etc have doctors. I'm sick of the plot line like oh this poor town with the hill people and they've never seen a doctor. Being a doctor is not exotic...try this plot line somewhere else.
5. Everything is not fried.
6. People are not stupid. Schools are not made of wood. We can spell, and add, and count...JUST. LIKE. YOU.
7. Everyone is not really nice. (SHOCKING!) I know but it's just like anywhere else. You've got nice people, rude people, just ehhh people. I am almost ashamed to admit this one to the masses because I love that part of the misconception, but it's true.
8. Did I mention we have shoes?
9. Oh and paved roads? and real bathrooms? and air conditioning (which, I might add is probably better than other places because it is hotter than hell!)
10. Yes, we have a slower accent but we are in fact, not slow.
We have sushi, hot yoga, book clubs, running groups, dog walkers, museums, bars, malls, parks, traffic, society, and everything else...just like the rest of America. Hate to break it to you folks, but we are just not that backwards. I know the creators of this show have read this entire post and will remedy this situation immediately. Obviously.
For Natalie's News this has been, Natalie-Corinne.
4 comments:
A worthwhile PSA...for sure.
ha, thanks.
Also: "Hart" is not spelled incorrectly by me...adding insult to injury...
ewwwww this looks horrible. vom.
Spoken like a true Southern Belle! Proud of her heritage, warts and all! P/S As a displaced Southern girl in the North, people really ARE nicer in the South.
Post a Comment