Wednesday, January 05, 2011

work eating

Does anyone else gain weight at work? I seriously lost weight...over Christmas break...yes after the parties, the drinks, the dinners and the drinks... I thought it was due to the move but returning to work I started noticing some gross trends. I don't have a snack drawer, I don't frequent the vending machine but Satan's workers (colleagues... oh and if you're a colleague and have have found this I don't mean you) bring tons and tons of free, fattening food.

Scenario 1: Obviously we just moved in and Dave Ramsey has a control over my soul and I feel the need to save money every way possible. A representative from a local college is pitching a masters degree program. Not interested because I already have one but wait, do you have pastries? No. Resist. Bagels? Resist. Holy Lord, did she bring Nutella? Big guns. Nice work. Almost talked into getting another masters that I am totally not interested in but the idea of bathing myself in Nutella can get me to agree to almost anything. Okay, 2 bites of nutella and then I'm done. Plus it is free.

A few short hours later.....

Scenario 2. A fellow employee has negotiated free lunch! Yay! What is it? Hot wings. Honey buttered biscuits. Fries. Free? Yes. A heart attack on a plate? Yes. Thought process, "Okay, 4 wings, 1 biscuit, 3 fries...and I'll blot the excess oil..."

Less than 12 hours later...

Scenario 3: Morning. Appreciation day. Sausage. Breakfast casserole. Hash brown casserole. Fruit. Yogurt. Bagels. NUTELLA. Thought process, "okay, just a bite of each and I brought steamed vegetables and grilled chicken for lunch. I will be fine".


A few short hours later..

Scenario 4: CAKE. No, not the band. FREE homemade pound cake. Seriously, hold the phone...more free food?! My thought process, "hmm..perhaps a sliver... I wonder if metro covers the lap-band?"
Literally 5 minutes later...

Scenario 5: CHOCOLATE DONUTS!! Okay, ENOUGH...I've finally had enough and I made it known in the most dramatic fashion possible... I make a mad dash out of the employee lounge and try to hibernate at my desk losing myself in email and diet coke.

So here is my new Near Year's resolution. Even if it makes me seem distant, weird, stuck up, rude, whatever, I will not eat what people bring to work and eat at my desk. Too many distractions and offers. I figure I've got the weird music thing going for me anyway so I might as well live it up and let the rumors fly.

If you're at your desk eating your healthy lunch too, we could gchat and judge others. Just a thought.
For Natalie's News this has been a very tempted, Natalie-Corinne.

2 comments:

RBert said...

OMG nutella. . .have you ever seen the one serving portions of it. the packages are sooo cute and it's pretty smart because you can't keep dipping your spoon, knife, finger into the jar.

The nice thing about working in a small office is that "work food" comes less often. I am usually the devil who brings it, but typically only bring enough for everyone to have a cookie or 2.

The other day we indulged in Bob's Cherry Candy Canes. . .did you know they only have 40 cals for a full size one. We were like school girls when we found this out.

RBert said...

ps- sorry for the novela of a comment.

can you tell I'm sad I missed your call last night?